GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Starting problem with my 4.8l

I just purchased a 2001 gmc sierra with 160.000 miles, truck is in very good shape, only problem i have is starting it up. On the first try it will crank for about 5+ seconds before starting. if i let off before it starts, it will start up right away on the 2nd try. i already did a full tune-up, filters, lube, plugs, coolant ect. im thinking its low fuel pressure. Im wondering if anyone's had this problem before or might know a sulotion. thanks in advance. also truck has no dtc codes or check engine lights on.

I am going through the same thing with my 99 Suburban right now. It has been getting slower and slower to start and didn't want to get above 4200 rpm's on the road. Now it will only start with starting fluid. I checked the fuel pressure yesterday and it was at 52 psi. Mine requires a minimum of 55 psi to start. Looks like I'll be dropping the tank this weekend (wiht about 20 gallons of gas in it )
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

That sucks bro, especially doing it on the driveway without a car-lift. Ive been there. you might want to try getting a couple feet of fuel hose and sense your replaceing your fuel pump already just conect constant power to the pump, hook the hose up to the fuel filter outlet and drain some gas out before you drop it. It will make your job alot easier. just a thought i do it all the time, im a heavy equipment mechanic and do it on a regular basis. good luck

I just installed a 6.0 in an 89 pickup and had the same problem. The crank sensor is right behind the starter and sometimes picks up noise from it. I took the lead and made sure it was clean wrapped it with an insulating tape, and routed it away from the starter as best as I could. I have not had the problem since.

Good Luck
    Russ

Jr. Mechanic

I had the same problem with my 2000 and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Looking at the engine, it's on the right side above the valve cover. It's round and has a vaccuum line going back into the intake. Pull the vaccuum line off the regulator, and if gas comes out, it's the regulator. I battled the same problem, after tune up, fuel pump, filter etc. I got this answer from this site Thanks to Jason