GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front sway bar?

Default Front sway bar?

I was under my '94 Suburban the other day when I noticed something that made me really curious. The ends of my front sway bar aren't connected to anything! There's holes in them as if to mount somewhere, but I can't seen anywhere where they could even reach to be able to mount. It's like this on both sides. Is this normal or am I missing some links or something? Maybe an off road mod or damage from the previous owner?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Sounds like you're missing an end-link! Maybe two, if it's like that on both sides. I replaced my sway bar mounts and end-links with an Energy Suspension kit to improve ride and handling. It worked great and wasn't very expensive.

Check out www.energysuspensionparts.com if you're interested. I think AutoZone carries Energy Suspension parts also.

If you want to see what it looks like, I have pictures of mine in my photo album on my profile.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Yeah, I don't have those things on either side of the bar. The truck feels fine when driving it, granted I don't go tearing around corners in the Suburban, but it seems ok. Is it possible that the previous owner removed them for a reason? What reason would that be?

Two reasons that come immediately to mind for removing sway bars:

1) Bushings or other failed, causing a clunk. Remove bushings and end links and clunk goes away

2) Sway bars limit suspension travel. Some remove swaybars to regain that extra little bit of suspension travel. I've removed the rear swaybar on my Suburban, but I don't yet dare remove the front sway bar. I've heard of some people/situations where the added suspension travel is enough to cause the CV joints to bind up.

Probably other reasons, but those are the 1st two that come to mind.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

SInce you may spend a lot of money on your sway bar, you might consider upgrading to a HD swaybar like i did.

$100

he probably took it out for the suspension travel, which stinks with IFS anyway. most offroaders if there smart take out the sway bars cuz teh suspension flexes so much better with them out. however, on your burban, i would put one back in.
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    my front sway bar aren't connected to anything! ...Maybe an off road mod or damage from the previous owner?
    Yep, some off roaders disconnect their anit-sway bars for rough country situation wanting a more independent front end, and reconnect them to be legal for highway driving. There are even quick-disconnect bar end links. Perhaps the previous owner didn't want to part with his trick links when he sold the truck and removed them. You received the truck with an unanchored bar.
    My '93 'Burb eats bar end link rubber like it's free. I even changed the bar thinking there was something wrong with the OE bar. Perhaps the missing links have nothing to do with rough road mods but were an economy measure.
    It seems that every time I get a link repair kit, it's set for a different link height.
    IHMO, have a good suspension tech determine your link lengths so the geometry is correct.
    Are we having fun, yet?

yeah I don't run front or rear swaybars on my jeep. It takes some getting used to on the road, I'll never get a speeding ticket in it thats for sure.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

I think I may just leave it as is. I've had it on the highway over 80 mph already and haven't had the slightest amount of instability. I am taking it to TX (from CO) this coming week and I don't have the cash to get new end links anyway.

That being said, do I even need the thing on there? Can I completely remove it since it doesn't seem to be serving any purpose at all?

ETA: Zippy, in the case that I decide to reconnect it, I am intrigued by the idea of the quick remove links. Do you have any links as to where to get these? Will removing and reinstalling them cause need for an alignment every time?
    Last edited by ct9a; 08-13-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: See post.

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    ETA: Zippy, in the case that I decide to reconnect it, I am intrigued by the idea of the quick remove links. Do you have any links as to where to get these? Will removing and reinstalling them cause need for an alignment every time?
    Don't have a clue, they talked about them on Extreme 4x4, and it seemed like an intriguing idea -- if they mentioned a brand, I don't recall.

Out of curiosity, I just did a quick google and got a mess of hits. Ever hear of the SkyJackers brand?
    Here's their Jeep kit:

The pic gives you an idea of the parts involved. Those snap clips look like the same thing I use on my tractor implements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast