GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Oil cooler lines leak

Is there an after market fix or just a better idea to stop the oil cooler lines from leaking where they attach to the oil filter assembly. The factory O rings I put in the last time (about 50,000 miles ago) started to leak very shortly after installing them, now they are worse. The truck is a 1997 1/2 ton with a 305, auto., 4x4.
    Last edited by Ru-one; 12-28-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot to mention year etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ru-one View Post
    Is there an after market fix or just a better idea to stop the oil cooler lines from leaking where they attach to the oil filter assembly. The factory O rings I put in the last time (about 50,000 miles ago) started to leak very shortly after installing them, now they are worse. The truck is a 1997 1/2 ton with a 305, auto., 4x4.
    From what you've mentioned, the Best way to fix this problem, is by installing New Oil Cooler Lines, in the Diagram Number's #13 and #14.....these are the Oil Cooler lines your talking about??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Yeah those are the ones, but the filter sits side ways on mine. I'd like to change that aspect of it too, like the one in your picture. Thanks for the input.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ru-one View Post
    Yeah those are the ones, but the filter sits side ways on mine. I'd like to change that aspect of it too, like the one in your picture. Thanks for the input.
    Sounds like you may have a 4X4. Chevy uses an offset block that enables the front drive shaft to clear the filter by mounting it horizontally. There is a O ring between the offset block and the engine. This is the source of many oil leak complaints.
    1993 K-2500 Suburban Silverado, 7.4L, 4 X 4, HD Towing
    1985 Jeep Scrambler 4.2 L, 4 X 4, Laredo
    2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L, 4 x 4,, TRX4, SLT