GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Where is the best site to buy a gas tank?

Need to replace the passenger side gas tank on my 1984 Chevy Scottsdale 3/4 ton pickup. It starting leaking recently and I finally pulled the plastic shroud this weekend. Was hoping I could patch the old tank but it is in worse shape than I originally thought. The rear tank support was so rusted that I broke it while removing the shroud. LMC Truck has the tank for around $120.00 and it looks like they have all the other parts I might need. I have never ordered from LMC before, has anyone purchased a gas tank from them? Looking for any recommendations.

Thanks

Ive heard of LMC but not familiar with their product.. See if there is a LKQ near you. (lkqcorp.com) Ive gotten new tanks from them before. I think I paid $125 for an old K-5 Blazer I had but I was able to locally pick it up. Not sure on the shipping if you need it shipped. I think it was bare steel so I had to prime and paint it for rust protection but still not a bad price IMO. Also I think the filler neck on some could be seperate or if it comes with it sometime they need to be soldered in. Probably depends on the application so thats another thing to keep in mind.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

3. Likes 08silverado3500hd liked this post

Ive used LMC for many parts, so far all the parts Ive purchased over the years were exact replacements for oem and fit perfectly.

5. Likes 08silverado3500hd liked this post

Finally ordered a gas tank, brackets, and everything else from LMC. Took less than a week to be delivered. Tank and brackets look identical to OEM with the exception that the tank brackets do not have have the nuts welded to them so it might be a little difficult to get the nuts started on the bolts in the tight space between the tank and the frame. Pulled the old tank on Saturday and undercoated the new tank. Planned on installing the new tank on Sunday but with the cold weather the undercoating was still a little tacky in spots so decided to wait till next weekend. Probably would have been a lot easier if I would have pulled the bed and worked from the top instead of doing everything from underneath.

Glue the nuts in place like NASCAR does with their lug nuts, also paint all the brackets, maybe the tank too, with a good rust preventative paint and it'll still be good when the truck dies.
    Gramps

20 yrs. USAF

With the help of the small hands of my nephew last Saturday the new tank is finally installed. Very satisfied with everything I purchased from LMC. Tank itself feels a little lighter than the original tank but everything fit and lined up perfectly. If ordering a tank from LMC note the o-ring and lock for on top of the sending unit comes with the tank (I have an extra one now). Maybe a mistake but just used the old sending unit in the new tank since it had been working without any problems and the float, screen and everything else inside the tank looked as good as new. Not planning on putting the plastic shield back on the new tank. Took the shield off the driver side tank several years ago to patch a leak with some marine putty (which is still holding) and that tank still looks 100% better as far as rusting compared to the passenger side tank I just replaced. IMO the shield just gives a place for dirt and leaves to build up against the tank and start a rust spot. Next step is to get a couple gallons of gas in it and try it out.