GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default 08 Silverado,44k miles...need brand new engine. Powertrain Warranty expired in July.

    Hey everyone,

    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 that I bought in June with around 39,000 miles on it. Truck ran great until last week when the Service Stabilitrack/Service Traction Control/Stabilitrack Off/Traction Control Off/Check Engine lights all came on at the same time while I was driving. Took it to my local GM dealer and they told me that there is a problem with one of the lifters and the 6th cylinder, and that it needs a brand new engine. $8,500. The vehicle had the standard 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, but since it is an '08, the warranty dated out in July. I called the dealer that I bought the car from and they have basically just been ignoring the messages I've been leaving for them.

    The truck only has 44,000 miles now and I can't believe that a vehicle with such low mileage would need a brand new engine. I don't have $8,500 to fix it so basically I'm just without a vehicle now. Not sure what to do at this point but I'm very frustrated and upset.

  2. #2
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTT2008 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 that I bought in June with around 39,000 miles on it. Truck ran great until last week when the Service Stabilitrack/Service Traction Control/Stabilitrack Off/Traction Control Off/Check Engine lights all came on at the same time while I was driving. Took it to my local GM dealer and they told me that there is a problem with one of the lifters and the 6th cylinder, and that it needs a brand new engine. $8,500. The vehicle had the standard 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, but since it is an '08, the warranty dated out in July. I called the dealer that I bought the car from and they have basically just been ignoring the messages I've been leaving for them.

    The truck only has 44,000 miles now and I can't believe that a vehicle with such low mileage would need a brand new engine. I don't have $8,500 to fix it so basically I'm just without a vehicle now. Not sure what to do at this point but I'm very frustrated and upset.
    I'd take it to a non-dealer mechanic that you can trust for a second opinion. Ask around through your friends maybe. I wish I could help more, but those dealer service departments just do what the computer tells them to do. They are not trained to diagnose hardware issues any more.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    I'd take it to a non-dealer mechanic that you can trust for a second opinion. Ask around through your friends maybe. I wish I could help more, but those dealer service departments just do what the computer tells them to do. They are not trained to diagnose hardware issues any more.
    Thanks for the reply. I took the truck to another shop that I have gone to for years today and didn't tell them that it had already been looked at by the dealer...wanted to see if they came up with a different diagnosis. They called after a couple of hours and said that the engine had some pretty serious mechanical issues and that they thought I should take it to a GM dealership. So at least I know that the GM service center was being honest with me.

    Took the truck home today and basically it is just sitting in the driveway until I can figure out what to do next.

  4. #4
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTT2008 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I took the truck to another shop that I have gone to for years today and didn't tell them that it had already been looked at by the dealer...wanted to see if they came up with a different diagnosis. They called after a couple of hours and said that the engine had some pretty serious mechanical issues and that they thought I should take it to a GM dealership. So at least I know that the GM service center was being honest with me.

    Took the truck home today and basically it is just sitting in the driveway until I can figure out what to do next.
    That was a smart move. At least you know where you are with the breakage. Maybe there is something the Customer Service Rep that frequents the forums can do to help.

  5. #5

    Default

    I will tag gm @GM Customer Service
    in hopes to bring this to her attention.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    Having worked at a GM dealership the GM is one that can override the service manager. If you bought the truck there new he would be the one to talk to. Next it would be head office. If you had all your service work done there that will work better when you plead you case. Stick to the mileage more than the time and say that this issue goes back further than when they first noticed it. Good luck

  8. #8

    Default

    This is a common issue in our area with the nnbs 5.3's with afm and all that. If the truck had a the common problems from the afm they would rig the truck to last until the next "victim" purchased the vehicle. I didn't have much of an issue getting my motor replaced at 38k or so but my dealer was amazing and has always hooked me up since we bought the truck new. See if you can obtain the service records from the dealership. They all have the ability to pull them up according to the vin and whatnot. Look at past dealer visits and see what they were for. If they have been in for oil consumption tests frequently and other internal issues then sold right after, you know you bought someone else's problem unfortunately. Usually they do the cheapest fix and trade it in or the dealer buys it bottom dollar and fixes the bare minimum to get it back on the lot. Our scam Chevy dealer across the river does this quite frequently. A few buddies purchased trucks from them and drove for a few months then had issue after issue start piling up. Dealer in the end wouldn't even hook the computer up to scan they just drove it back in the shop, checked oil level, and brought it back around and never provided with a print out. By the way a Go-Pro fits PERFECTLY in the air vents

    This is how I caught them doing all this to their truck. Just paint the case black and cover the light and hide it back in the vent some.

    They ended up out of pocket on motors that we put in at my shop.

    Good luck at getting them to help you! Hopefully your local dealer isn't a scam artist like most are!
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

    NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •