GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BTT2008,

I am truly sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding engine issue. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Could your private message me including your full name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealership that you are working with?

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BTT2008 View Post
    Called GM today and they transferred me to a local customer relations person at the service center that I took the vehicle to. He told me I was out of luck because the warranty dated out in July and that GM wouldn't do anything. Called the dealer that I bought it from and they transferred me to someone's voicemail, and that person hasn't called back yet.

If GM isn't going to stand by one of their trucks that only has 44,000 miles on it, then they have lost a loyal customer for life. I will never buy another GM vehicle and neither will anyone in my family.
    these things do happen . GM has a policy on warranty and for you its over. no reason for GM to repair this and the cost of $8500 to me means they do not want to do it.

call your local repair shops for them to line up an engine used or have them replace the cam/lifter and whatever else is needed.

you owe a lot on this vehicle so no way you will get more of a loan ..

then there are other options . if you know what I mean .

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    these things do happen . GM has a policy on warranty and for you its over. no reason for GM to repair this and the cost of $8500 to me means they do not want to do it.

call your local repair shops for them to line up an engine used or have them replace the cam/lifter and whatever else is needed.

you owe a lot on this vehicle so no way you will get more of a loan ..

then there are other options . if you know what I mean .
    Yes I agree, I shouldn't have criticized GM, but I posted that last night in the heat of the moment after I had just been blown off again by the dealer who sold me the vehicle and I was upset. I apologize...it has been a rough week or so.

Re: other options...Not really an option, even though I think I got screwed over here, I have to maintain my own sense integrity. That said, I do remember a couple of weeks ago (before this all happened) I narrowly avoided a wreck as someone cut me off and I had to swerve over to the emergency lane to avoid a collision. In hindsight I guess it would have been easier if I hadn't have been paying attention...insurance company would have paid for the truck for me. Oh well. Not worth someone getting hurt over.

I have the same question as Rocker, how did the dash light up with a bad lifter? Are the lights still on? I'm not sure but did you buy the truck from a GM dealership or a corner used lot? If it is from a GM dealership you'll have something in your favor, its' the dealerships reputation on the line. In six months of driving a lifter doesn't go bad that fast, I have a feeling that the oil wasn't changed often enough by the previous owner and it was trading in because the problem was known. But does the engine run OK, is it making a tapping noise? Another question, $20K plus for a six year old truck seems high and was it sold "As Is"? If you signed "As Is" you do not have a fight in court. Reputable dealerships will always offer to sell a extended warranty and find out if they do offer any. If they do and you were not offered one then there is a fighting chance unless you signed a decline waver.

I think from the comments from the mechanics that you visited, it must be more than a lifter that a engine replacement is warranted. It could be an engine design flaw that results in extensive damage to the engine. It seems like they been down this road before. Education is never cheap.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
    I have the same question as Rocker, how did the dash light up with a bad lifter? Are the lights still on? I'm not sure but did you buy the truck from a GM dealership or a corner used lot? If it is from a GM dealership you'll have something in your favor, its' the dealerships reputation on the line. In six months of driving a lifter doesn't go bad that fast, I have a feeling that the oil wasn't changed often enough by the previous owner and it was trading in because the problem was known. But does the engine run OK, is it making a tapping noise? Another question, $20K plus for a six year old truck seems high and was it sold "As Is"? If you signed "As Is" you do not have a fight in court. Reputable dealerships will always offer to sell a extended warranty and find out if they do offer any. If they do and you were not offered one then there is a fighting chance unless you signed a decline waver.

I think from the comments from the mechanics that you visited, it must be more than a lifter that a engine replacement is warranted. It could be an engine design flaw that results in extensive damage to the engine. It seems like they been down this road before. Education is never cheap.
    good things to consider .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BTT2008 View Post
    Yes I agree, I shouldn't have criticized GM, but I posted that last night in the heat of the moment after I had just been blown off again by the dealer who sold me the vehicle and I was upset. I apologize...it has been a rough week or so.

Re: other options...Not really an option, even though I think I got screwed over here, I have to maintain my own sense integrity. That said, I do remember a couple of weeks ago (before this all happened) I narrowly avoided a wreck as someone cut me off and I had to swerve over to the emergency lane to avoid a collision. In hindsight I guess it would have been easier if I hadn't have been paying attention...insurance company would have paid for the truck for me. Oh well. Not worth someone getting hurt over.
    post back what you did with this . good luck .

Another option to consider is to contact your local Better Business Bureau. They may or may not be able to help but it is worth a shot. They were a great help to me when I had problems with my Wynjammer S/C.
    And keep us posted on how things work out no matter which way you go. It will be a good learning experience for myself and others as well. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Goldie; 01-05-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: misspelling

This has to be a very frustrating situation and I have no clue what could cause that type of engine lifter failure at such an early mileage on the engine. Even if there were NO maintenance done on the engine (like not even a single oil change) I don't think that you would see that at 39,000 miles. ??? Maybe it was abused and/or there could have been a casting defect from the factory that never showed up until now.

In any case, getting a new engine at this point will give you a little bit more value back to the truck ... but probably not the amount of value that you have to spend. It just makes it driveable.

And for the warranty, dates and created for a reason ... There's a difference between 60 and 66 months, GM's got to hold onto a certain amount of cash, etc. However, the low mileage might be enough to help you get some relief on this.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

i had the exact same codes/ messages in my dic last summer on my 08 avalanche 5.3
    turned out to be failed coils on both occasions. might be something to check..

- - - Updated - - -

something else to consider, is a DOD delete kit,, comes with a cam, lifters, rockers, springs for about $1000

Sr. Apprentice

Check your states lemon laws. I know in NY when a vehicle has over 100k on it the lemon laws are null. But for certain mileages they have to give you a state mandated warranty. I think in NY if it is under 50k it is 6 months or so. Even if the contract says "AS IS" there is an implied guarantee when you buy newish vehicles from dealers.
    89 V1500 Suburban

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12