GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default 91 S10 Blazer Lighting/Electrical Issues

    My 91 S10 Blazer is possessed. First the gauge lights would flash if you turned on the right hand indicator and if you turn the head lights on the right indicator would turn on but stay solid. Then tonight turning the headlights on had no impact on the right hand indicator, but if you turned on the right hand indicator both the left and right would flash like hazard lights. I have no idea what to think.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds like the kind of problems some people have with the lights on a trailer when the ground is bad.

    Check the front sheet metal grounds, they could be open (broken ground strap), or the connection could be dirty. Check the ground cable of the battery (both ends).

    Without being there and without meter readings, I'd have to say it is a ground problem.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Sounds like the kind of problems some people have with the lights on a trailer when the ground is bad.

    Check the front sheet metal grounds, they could be open (broken ground strap), or the connection could be dirty. Check the ground cable of the battery (both ends).

    Without being there and without meter readings, I'd have to say it is a ground problem.

    I've gone over the grounds and they are tight. I wonder if I might have a bad switch somewhere in the mix.

  4. #4

    Default

    Usually when a switch fails, it will not turn on the circuit, or it won't turn off the circuit.

    One possibility is the flasher unit, but it would not effect the headlights.

    The other thing might be the multi-function switch in the steering column (it at least operates the heads and the sigs).

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Usually when a switch fails, it will not turn on the circuit, or it won't turn off the circuit.

    One possibility is the flasher unit, but it would not effect the headlights.

    The other thing might be the multi-function switch in the steering column (it at least operates the heads and the sigs).
    I"m going to pick one up in the morning. My steering column is lose anyway so I might was well fix it and replace everything along the way.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm willing to bet that the loose cOlumn is what is causing the issue. I had the same problem with my 87. What happened with mine it the column pinched a couple wires as it wobbled when turning or adjusting the tilt. That's a pretty common issue as far as I can tell. Eventually the steering wheel falls off in your lap/hands... Don't ask how I know this lol
    Chuckie!!!


  7. Likes RayVoy liked this post
  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the loose cOlumn is what is causing the issue. I had the same problem with my 87. What happened with mine it the column pinched a couple wires as it wobbled when turning or adjusting the tilt. That's a pretty common issue as far as I can tell. Eventually the steering wheel falls off in your lap/hands... Don't ask how I know this lol

    Ya that'll be fixed on Saturday. I had to order a pivot pin removal tool. I tried the old screw and socket trick, but it didn't work.

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkznza View Post
    Ya that'll be fixed on Saturday. I had to order a pivot pin removal tool. I tried the old screw and socket trick, but it didn't work.
    can you not screw a spark plug in to it?

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    can you not screw a spark plug in to it?

    How does that work?

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkznza View Post
    How does that work?
    its been about 6 years since I worked on a GM column, but I remember taking the tip off a spark plug and screwing it in to one of the parts on the column. That's why I was asking. I can't remember! Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •