GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2005 yukon xl thermostat question

Hi Guys and Girls,
    I have a 2005 yukon xl with a 5.3L. I replaced the thermostat last summer. Here is the issue that I am seeing now. (may not be an issue) I can start the truck and drive it, it warms up to operating temperature as it should. But, when just idling it does not get to the operating temp. I can drive it at operating temp and all is fine. When I idle for around 5 minutes the temp drops significantly. (it is 15 degrees here now) When I start driving the temp goes right back up to where it should be within a mile or so. So, my question is, should I put a new t-stat in it again? I have owned 3 5.3L and never noticed this before. @j cat , @RayVoy, @99'HEARTBEAT , opinions guys? everyone else feel free to chime in.
    here is a pic of just above where it drops to, it goes to the line just below the needle. it is the lower right gauge :

1231132101.jpg
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Hi Guys and Girls,
    I have a 2005 yukon xl with a 5.3L. I replaced the thermostat last summer. Here is the issue that I am seeing now. (may not be an issue) I can start the truck and drive it, it warms up to operating temperature as it should. But, when just idling it does not get to the operating temp. I can drive it at operating temp and all is fine. When I idle for around 5 minutes the temp drops significantly. (it is 15 degrees here now) When I start driving the temp goes right back up to where it should be within a mile or so. So, my question is, should I put a new t-stat in it again? I have owned 3 5.3L and never noticed this before. @j cat , @RayVoy, @99'HEARTBEAT , opinions guys? everyone else feel free to chime in.
    here is a pic of just above where it drops to, it goes to the line just below the needle. it is the lower right gauge :

1231132101.jpg
    Mike....I also replaced the thermostat back in August of this year, and once my Engine a "5.3L" is up to Normal Operating Temps, Gauge reads around, 180/190 Degrees...and as far as I can tell, it doesn't drop like yours.

By chance do you have anyway to check with a DTC Reader, with a Scanner, so you can see some Live Logging Data for the Gauge??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Mike....I also replaced the thermostat back in August of this year, and once my Engine a "5.3L" is up to Normal Operating Temps, Gauge reads around, 180/190 Degrees...and as far as I can tell, it doesn't drop like yours.

By chance do you have anyway to check with a DTC Reader, with a Scanner, so you can see some Live Logging Data for the Gauge??
    I do have a Jet programmer with a monitor function. It reads a lower temp at idle. looks like I may replace the t stat later this morning. I need to see if one of the managers I know at the parts store is working so they can warranty it for me. Oddly, I can not find that receipt.

Mike, I think Mike (@99'HEARTBEAT) has the right suggestion (and he beat me, haha). It does sound like the t-stat is not closing to hold the heat in the engine.

Did you guys have a good New Year's eve?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Mike, I think Mike (@99'HEARTBEAT) has the right suggestion (and he beat me, haha). It does sound like the t-stat is not closing to hold the heat in the engine.

Did you guys have a good New Year's eve?

Morning Ray, and Happy New Year, it was a quiet one for me and my wife, and how was yours??

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post

Morning Ray, and Happy New Year, it was a quiet one for me and my wife, and how was yours??

We had planned to have a couple of couples over, but, as it turned out, it was the coldest night this winter and they decided to stay home. I don't blame them, they had a 10 mile drive and no one wanted to get into a cold car at 2am.

So, I watched "the festivities on tv and was asleep by 1am (Margot didn't make 12am, haha).

I changed out the t-stat this morning. After a quick test drive I let it idle in the garage for a few minutes and the temp dropped to 170.5. I topped off the coolant and drove it around for a while. I let it idle with the heaters (front and rear) on full blast for 20 minutes. The lowest it went on my monitor was 185.0 as soon as I touched the gas it dropped to 183.2. I drove around and while driving it is at 199.2 to 205.0 depending on how much I am on the gas. As of right now I am calling it fixed. I guess I will see over the next few days. Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I changed out the t-stat this morning. After a quick test drive I let it idle in the garage for a few minutes and the temp dropped to 170.5. I topped off the coolant and drove it around for a while. I let it idle with the heaters (front and rear) on full blast for 20 minutes. The lowest it went on my monitor was 185.0 as soon as I touched the gas it dropped to 183.2. I drove around and while driving it is at 199.2 to 205.0 depending on how much I am on the gas. As of right now I am calling it fixed. I guess I will see over the next few days. Thanks for the help guys!

Ya Mike, It sounds like got this issue fixed........BTW Happy Year!!....

Happy New Year @Pikey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by