GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I cant believe its not broke thread

Thought it would be different to have people give input on parts of their trucks that you cant believe havent broke. This might not be to relevant for some that have new trucks but a lot of members have high mileage vehicles or maybe an incident took place that made you say " I cant believe that didnt break" Like a loud stone hitting the windshield or something. Maybe you hit something and it didnt even leave a mark. You get the picture.

What made me think of this was I was changing out the shocks on my 96 3/4 ton and noticed that the upper ball joints were still original to the truck with 270,000 miles on it. I just couldnt believe they were still original with that kind of milage on them. Ive replaced ball joints on 1/2 tons with just over 100k on them. Maybe the little bit heavier dutyness of them allows them to hold up better but not sure.

Anyone else have something that they cannot believe its not broke yet? Not trying to jinx anyone if ya believe in that but thought it would be interesting.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I am surprised that I never twisted my drive shaft on my 95. It is a 3 piece shaft. Aluminum yokes on each end with a fiberglass tube connecting them. Came from the factory like that. They slid the end yokes in and then caulked them. With 38.5" tires and 4:56 gears when I get some wheel hop I get nervous. Last time I looked it looked like the yoke ends had both come out of the shaft by about 1/8" of an inch. you can tell because the caulk or adhesive on the ends had stretched with the movement.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Been there. Driving a 68 ford 1/2 ton down the highway 65 mph and my headlights went out. Tried to keep it as straight as I THOUGHT I was going. Ended up in the grass, naturally I thought no big deal. I was slowing down. Before I new it, I hit what I thought at the time was a big bump of sorts. Then I felt nothing, except the up then down motion that resembled an elevator. I remember the truck slamming on to the ground as I stood on the brakes (something I should have done a hell of a lot sooner) I grabbed a flashlight and decided to look for what I ran over before I messed with my lights, but the only thing I could see was a 2 lane turn off and me sitting in a 6ft ditch. Nothing else around. You would think that jumping a truck would result in broken front end parts or something else, but nothing was broken at all! My pants were ruined as I needed to make a business call regarding the #2 at the time, but I don't think they count as "broken"

My wife's Tahoe has 141,xxx miles on the original front end. Idler and pitman arms are beginning to move a little.
    Chuckie!!!

Not counting routine stuff like fluids, filters, spark plugs, brake pads, etc, almost everything on my truck is still from the factory. Only things that have broken on me are the fuel pump and transmission. Like I said in my CEL thread, it is 13 years old and about 175,000 miles and LOTS of OEM parts still going strong. I am surprised a lot of stuff isn't broken.

I would say the one that gets me the most is the rock to the windshield. Driving down the highway ,hear a loud *CRACK* and expect to see practically a hole in the glass but there is nothing there at all.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I would say the one that gets me the most is the rock to the windshield. Driving down the highway ,hear a loud *CRACK* and expect to see practically a hole in the glass but there is nothing there at all.
    Ive heard this a few times myself. sometimes they dont show themselves until its real cold out and the heater hits it. Ive had 3 loud cracks like this in the phantom and nobody was around. no oncoming cars or anything. In fact one time I was turning real slow and it sounded like a bb hit my window. No idea what it was. havent found any evidence of what it was as of yet. Scared the hell out of me though.

Sr. Apprentice

137,000 on my lil W/T and the only things besides fluid's I have changed have been the water pump and a section of brake line. The ride is a lil bouncy @ this point but hopefully she'll get by until spring?
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

had a little 78 f150 I decided would be a good idea to jump one of the snow banks at a mall in NJ, all that happened was that I scraped the A arms on the pavement, and threw the alignment out. Bone stock truck too.

hit the ramp at about 50.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Knock on wood, most of my truck is stock except the radiator, some hoses and gaskets and small stuff. The whole suspension is stock as is the motor and tranny. In the rough and cold CT winters plus hot and humid summers this truck has lasted 18 years with minimal rust and still feeling young.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Ive heard this a few times myself. sometimes they dont show themselves until its real cold out and the heater hits it. Ive had 3 loud cracks like this in the phantom and nobody was around. no oncoming cars or anything. In fact one time I was turning real slow and it sounded like a bb hit my window. No idea what it was. havent found any evidence of what it was as of yet. Scared the hell out of me though.
    Yeah, I've had that exact thing happen to me. About 5 years ago, I got a rock chip in my windshield. It stayed like that for a couple years, then one winter I turned on the heater and watched as a crack creeped all the way across the glass, passenger to driver side. Fortunately, the crack was well below my line of site so it didn't fail inspection. I drove around with that crack for another two years or so. Eventually I was able to replace it.

This is why I have window insurance on my truck. Its only another $5 per month on the policy and can save $1000s if your window cracks or breaks. When my dad broke the trucks rear glass it saved us about $1500 that repair and parts cost. Mine is full coverage for all the windows on the truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by