GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default how to test for a bad starter.

Just went through this today and did find my starter was bad. While all of this was in the Haynes manuel, this guys write up on how to test the starting system was more helpful. http://easyautodiagnostics.com/bad_s...ar_tests_1.php

Probably the hardest part of performing these tests on my '98 Suburban was trying to get at the appropriate terminals on the starter. I found the easiest way to access them was to remove the "splash shield" from the passenger wheel well. The starter is right there, just inside of the frame rail. (A flashlight was almost essential to see things well). It's a little tricky to not short the battery wire against the heat shield, but, with a little care, I was able to probe each terminal and determine that all the voltages were good, and that the battery cables were not corroded.

Now it has a new starter and starts strong again.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I've always tried to tap the started with a hammer while another is cranking. The vibration is usually enough to free up the brushes inside the starter and allow it it crank. If this happens you know it is time for a new one (unless you enjoy the process of sliding under).

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda just as annoying as the damn yellow banner that just won't go away! It said 3 posts, and I'm past that yet it still shines brightly...