GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Towing with 6.2 & 3.42 gear ratio

Hey all
    I am curious what you are towing with your 1/2 tons with the 6.2 and 3.42 gear ratio. How does it do in the mountains? I know getting the 3.73 will be better but I am only towing about 6 to 8 times a year and only 1 or 2 times will be up into the Sierras. I will be towing a 23 foot toy hauler that will be max weight of 8,000 pounds, most of the time between 6,500 to 7,000.

Thanks in advance

What year/model is your truck? For the 1991 year which is pretty representative of the 90s bodystyle, the 6.2L diesel with 3.42 gears has a max front axle weight rating of 3400 and rear axle rating of 3968, and gross combination vehicle weight (GCVWR) of 10,000 pounds. Considering the truck weighs in at around 6000 pounds, that only gives you 4000 pounds of capacity. That said, the brakes are probably not strong enough to adequately stop that, and you will certainly need a weight distributing hitch. The engine and transmission are probably adequate on flat land, but not the mountains because of the low gear ratio. You'd need to ramp up to 4.10s or even 4.56s to drag 8000 pounds up the mountain.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    What year/model is your truck? For the 1991 year which is pretty representative of the 90s bodystyle, the 6.2L diesel with 3.42 gears
    He was asking about 1/2ton trucks... So I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a diesel setup no matter the year/model haha. That being said, I've never hauled with 3.42 ratio before but if it's a newer truck, your transmission is going to play a huge part with your concerns. Hopefully your truck has a 6l80 in it, but even so with that kind of weight around hills, the 3.42 gears are going to cause your truck some strain and I'd recommend the 3.73 upgrade.

Before I took all the trailering stuff off of and lowered my 08 he pulled 8K around Texas hill country with no problems (5.3 4l60 3.73 and set up as it says in signature)

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Your not giving us much info to enable a proper answer; but, here is my 2 cents.

I have the 3.42 and the 5.3 I also have the tow/haul feature and a 6 speed tranny.

My advice: you have either the 4 speed, or the 6 speed tranny, just drop down a gear for the 4speed, or 2 gears for the 6speed and you will be fine.

If................you have a transmission fluid cooler.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Your not giving us much info to enable a proper answer; but, here is my 2 cents.

I have the 3.42 and the 5.3 I also have the tow/haul feature and a 6 speed tranny.

My advice: you have either the 4 speed, or the 6 speed tranny, just drop down a gear for the 4speed, or 2 gears for the 6speed and you will be fine.

If................you have a transmission fluid cooler.
    And you have the stock size tires.. putting larger diameter tires on the truck significantly changes the ratio.. Any larger than stock and you wont be happy even with the 6 speed. It will constantly hunt for gears and wont be good for the tranny regardless of which tranny you have.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper