GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jr. Mechanic

Default 2001 Tahoe - No crank - No start - No nothing!!!

So my sister purchased this Tahoe back in 2001 brand new... Got 13 faithful years out of it, when last week something finally failed... Her son was driving it and in his own words, this is what happened... I know it's pretty vague, but I figured I would add it to the thread seeing it's the only small amount of info I know. Sorry in advance, the description lacks any detail (he's only 17).

"So the engine was just making this crazy loud noise whenever I put my foot down on the pedal. So i pulled over and let it sit for a couple mins. Then I started it and put it into drive and when I put my foot on the pedal the speedometer shot up all the way and the engine made a wicked loud noise and then I just didn't bother starting it again."

Otherwise, I am basically looking to see what simple tests I can do, to see what is salvageable. All though I know it's possible, the chances of the motor and trans/drive train components failing both at once are pretty slim.

The truck was towed to my house, I attempted to start it and got nothing. All the dash lights came on, battery reads close to 13V. I turn the key and I get nothing at all.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to begin? Don't know if this is coincidence that the truck won't start anymore or if something major failed/motor seized. I plan to at least start with checking fuses and relays.

Does anyone know the location/number for any starter related fuses or relays?

Thanks in advance.

My sister was going to just let the tow company keep the truck, as they were basically just waiting for it to die to buy a new vehicle. When I heard this I said I would take it, so it cost me $100 to pay for the tow.
    W.W.D.D.
    2010 Crew Cab Silverado LT
    Rough Country level kit
    Kenwood DNX5160 (In dash NAV/DVD)
    Kenwood KAC - 8105D (Mono Amp)
    JL Audio 10w3
    Rhino lined
    Rugged Cover
    Undercoated rear wheel wells
    Fully De-badged (except grill)

The sequence of "Loud noises" the young man reports leads me to believe there has been a major mechanical failure in the engine. The starter probably blew its fuse trying to turn a broken motor over during the restart attempt.

I think there is a connecting rod broken, bent, and jambing the engine into an immovable chunk of steel. You nay have a $100.00 paperweight.

Set the E brake. Put the transmission in neutral. Disconnect the battery. Remove the spark plugs. Remove the accessory belts.

Put a long handled wrench (breaker bar) on the crank pulley retainer nut and try to rotate the engine. It probably will not move very much.

If it does move easily, then it is the transmission that has gone to the happy hunting grounds. This may explain the speedo maxing out while standing still.

Jr. Mechanic

I was leaning towards something transmission related when I heard the speedo going up/vehicle not moving... Either way, I don't really care the case, just looking to get it sorted and figure out what is salvageable. No such thing as a $100 paper weight when it comes to a complete later model vehicle, this is worth 20 times what I paid in parts. I can triple my money by selling the wheels/all season goodyear tires that were put on the truck 20k ago, then scrap it for $175/ton if I wanted to move it quickly.

Thanks for the reply, Im going to check some fuses and power at the starter before I pull the plugs and belts... I'm in NH and it's currently snowing right now/ 12 degrees out.
    W.W.D.D.
    2010 Crew Cab Silverado LT
    Rough Country level kit
    Kenwood DNX5160 (In dash NAV/DVD)
    Kenwood KAC - 8105D (Mono Amp)
    JL Audio 10w3
    Rhino lined
    Rugged Cover
    Undercoated rear wheel wells
    Fully De-badged (except grill)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable2 View Post
    So my sister purchased this Tahoe back in 2001 brand new... Got 13 faithful years out of it, when last week something finally failed... Her son was driving it and in his own words, this is what happened... I know it's pretty vague, but I figured I would add it to the thread seeing it's the only small amount of info I know. Sorry in advance, the description lacks any detail (he's only 17).

"So the engine was just making this crazy loud noise whenever I put my foot down on the pedal. So i pulled over and let it sit for a couple mins. Then I started it and put it into drive and when I put my foot on the pedal the speedometer shot up all the way and the engine made a wicked loud noise and then I just didn't bother starting it again."

Otherwise, I am basically looking to see what simple tests I can do, to see what is salvageable. All though I know it's possible, the chances of the motor and trans/drive train components failing both at once are pretty slim.

The truck was towed to my house, I attempted to start it and got nothing. All the dash lights came on, battery reads close to 13V. I turn the key and I get nothing at all.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to begin? Don't know if this is coincidence that the truck won't start anymore or if something major failed/motor seized. I plan to at least start with checking fuses and relays.

Does anyone know the location/number for any starter related fuses or relays?

Thanks in advance.

My sister was going to just let the tow company keep the truck, as they were basically just waiting for it to die to buy a new vehicle. When I heard this I said I would take it, so it cost me $100 to pay for the tow.
    if this driver is less than 20 years old my guess is he put the GAS pedal down , and the tach went all the way up. the engine is now seized.

this happens when there at this age ... also when they are pissed they have to drive such an old vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    ... also when they are pissed they have to drive such an old vehicle...
    What the hell kind of an answer is that , a lot of people drive older vehicles and their (btw, the proper spelling for the word you used is they're) kids are damn happy to be able to drive the vehicle.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

I have children ,my friends have children of the teen years. in this area they do things that we can not believe to a vehicle because it is so #####.

I have stories that no adult would ever believe their child would do , such a stupid act that would destroy their parents vehicle.

how about my friends kid the cops bagged for trying to get the car up on two wheels at the local shopping center !

putting crap in the gas tank so they would have to buy a newer vehicle. and much worse.

THEN YOU GET MY CHILD WOULD NEVER DO THAT ! then reality sets in ..

the poster said it when he stated the story is not very clear on what happened ...also they were going to get a new ride any way .

I just said it was a guess what really happened ,,, gas pedal to floor then boom all blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    I have children ,my friends have children of the teen years. in this area they do things that we can not believe to a vehicle because it is so #####.

I have stories that no adult would ever believe their child would do , such a stupid act that would destroy their parents vehicle.

how about my friends kid the cops bagged for trying to get the car up on two wheels at the local shopping center !

putting crap in the gas tank so they would have to buy a newer vehicle. and much worse.

THEN YOU GET MY CHILD WOULD NEVER DO THAT ! then reality sets in ..

the poster said it when he stated the story is not very clear on what happened ...also they were going to get a new ride any way .

I just said it was a guess what really happened ,,, gas pedal to floor then boom all blown up.
    Now that is a much better answer. Explanations always work better than bashing assumptions.

I wasn't offended by the guess, we all do that and, like you, state that it is a guess. I didn't like the comment about having "to drive such an old vehicle"
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Now that is a much better answer. Explanations always work better than bashing assumptions.

I wasn't offended by the guess, we all do that and, like you, state that it is a guess. I didn't like the comment about having "to drive such an old vehicle"
    Hes just saying some kids are so unappreciative of even being able to drive a vehicle let alone an old one.(put in other words) I kinda get the jist of what hes saying about kids taking the parents car out for joy rides, I remember myself some friends that beat the hell out of there parents vehicles. I had friends I rode with that did it and let me tell ya we had a blastof course looking back its not funny now. well yeah it is. I had to buy all my own vehicles when I was young except my first one (84 cavalier and this was in 89)which I had for 8 days and totalled it. Had my license for 6 days. Trying to outrun a girlfriend and I quickly took a turn shut off my lights and tailspin into a tree. Man I loved that car with my cragar rims and loud stereo. But mommy bought it so I guess I didnt deserve it. What a huge life lesson learned that day.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

@the phantom I understand where he was going after he explained it, I just took his previous post as a bash to people who have to, or want to, drive an older vehicle. I'm good, thanks
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

A wild thought here, is it possible the starter kept spinning? And finslly toasted it self?
    I'd probably start my diagnosys by pulling the plugs and seeing if I could turn over the engine by hand.
    If that doesnt work then I might suspect internal issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast