GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Performance Chips

Do any of these actually work? I see more HP and torque, yet better fuel economy... Really?

Jr. Apprentice

The more you add to the truck the more youll see from a custom tuner. Theres a fine line between better performance and gas economy and youll get to a point were your mpg's will sacrifice with performance so you have to decide what you really want. But with just basic bolt on (intake, exhaust ect.) you should see some money going back into your pocket at the pump but dont expect 40 mpg.

Do performance upgrades for performance not better mpg. Buying a couple hundred dollar intake/exhaust system to get 1mpg better is not sound advice IMHO. You will only see the better mpg from the performance if you dont care to hear the new sounds the intake/exhaust will make.

As far as chips....leave that to Lay's. Get a custom tune. Also, it would help if you gave us some info on what you drive.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I just bought a 09 Silverado with 4.8L, 4 speed auto so I'm not sure of anything yet... I guess I was ebay (not sure), but they were saying up to 4 mpg increase and 35hp or something like that by just installing their chip in place of the factory!

Sounds great, I'd be a fool not to purchase, right? So joined and posted here because I figured tens of thousands of guys own similar drive train, and could verify their claims...

Thanks, Dan

Dan, post a link to this "magic" chip. If you are looking to do some perfromance mods we can point you in the right direction, but I am thinking this chip is not a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by 71Stage1Conv View Post
    I just bought a 09 Silverado with 4.8L, 4 speed auto so I'm not sure of anything yet... I guess I was ebay (not sure), but they were saying up to 4 mpg increase and 35hp or something like that by just installing their chip in place of the factory!

Sounds great, I'd be a fool not to purchase, right? So joined and posted here because I figured tens of thousands of guys own similar drive train, and could verify their claims...

Thanks, Dan
    New trucks don't take "chips" as such. You can flash a program to the ECU from a tuner, but there is no chip that you replace. The "chips" are for OBD-i and very early OBD-II vehicles.

And I guarantee you it's not going to give you 4 MPG or 35 HP increase. What they advertise is "up to" those amounts. Most of the time they will just richen the fuel mix, which will generally give you less MPG, and might give you 1-2 HP at the crank. Mostly, you just lose $60 or whatever it is they're charging for the magic chips.

Dan, you are about to spend 60 bucks you will later wish you had not spent.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Stage1Conv View Post

Thanks, Dan

Dan, as mentioned by
    ajarman and dobey....the Gains of Increasing your Silverado's Fuel Mileage by 4 MPG and receiving Gains of 35 More H.P. from just Installing this Device"Chip".....sorry to say, but this is Not going to Happen,

Keep in mind, when looking at a Performance Part, in which a Company Expresses that by installing their Part on your Vehicle.....your Vehicle will Receive the Big Gains in H.P. and MPG, like this one has, and It Just Sounds To Good To Be True
    .....In Most Cases It Is!!

Take a look at Black Bear Tunes, going with a Custom Tune will yield you the Best Return on your Investment,

Black Bear,
    Tuning Services
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 02-02-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

10. Likes Drake_korthos liked this post

like stated a mail order tune or live tune will be your best bang for your buck and also net you the best results. idk about you but when i spend 30k on a truck i want a name brand/respected and tested product under my hood.
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by