GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default couple of questions.

i bought my 1988 c1500 used, the radio has never worked. not a problem but i see all that space the stock radio takes and im thinkin what a waste. how do i remove the radio? and when i do is it possable to put a piece of smoked plexiglass in the hole and install a couple guges like oil and temp? dont trust factory guages that much. thanks for u guys help. jeff
    1988 sportside c1500 72 buick skylark 88 toyota camry v6 daily driver

If it don't come out with a hammer....you need a piece of dynamite. I'll take a gander at my '84 and see if I can find something.
    Excuse the rust..I USE my truck.

"No matter how beat up or rusty a chevy is, no truck will ever look as good goin down the road wearin that bowtie!"

Hi, JCSHIPP:

If you don't own a service manual, I suggest buying one. If you can get the OEM manual, all the better. At least get a Haynes.

These manuals have instructions to show you where to disassemble things. Having said that, you can remove the radio without a "big hammer" by carefully (operative word here) removing the outer trim piece around the radio, IF there are fasteners visible on the outside, such as plastic allen head screws. If you don't have those screws, the next thing is to remove adjacent large items, such as the glove box, if it provides a close enough access point, and then remove more items until you get access to the rear of the panel.

I am not personally familiar with your truck, but I am thinking it is similar to mine. I have the plastic fasteners on the outside of the radio trim panel and once that is removed, fasteners underneath are exposed to remove the radio. No removal of adjacent items on the dash is necessary.

If you do remove the radio, I suggest keeping it in case you sell the truck, as many buyers won't want plexiglass with gauges in there.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I used to have a similar truck and the radio quit working. I had an after market put in and they put a cd/tape holder (just formed plastic) in the area where the old one was located. The new radio went in place of the tape deck which was over to the right in the center of the dashboard. I don't see why you could not install whatever you wanted where the old radio resides.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Metra does make kits for that truck that puts pockets where the stock radio is and puts the new radio where the CD player/pocket is

www.metraonline.com
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

6. Likes the phantom liked this post

thanks guys,sounds like a good weekend project to get started on. will lrt ya'll know how i come out.