GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2009 Silverado 5.3 AFM not installed

My dad has a 2009 silverado with the 5.3l engine but no active fuel management. He purchased the truck new. The interesting part is the window sticker says it does have AFM. I checked the vin on the truck and the sticker and they match. Has anyone heard of this? He bought the truck with his brothers gm discount and the dealer obtained the truck from another dealer out of state. He was surprised it didn't have AFM when it arrived but did not question them about it thinking it was an oversight on his part when he told them what he wanted. He was told by the dealer that the window sticker was removed and lost by the original dealership but I found it folded up in the owners manual just recently.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chemcounter View Post
    My dad has a 2009 silverado with the 5.3l engine but no active fuel management. He purchased the truck new. The interesting part is the window sticker says it does have AFM. I checked the vin on the truck and the sticker and they match. Has anyone heard of this? He bought the truck with his brothers gm discount and the dealer obtained the truck from another dealer out of state. He was surprised it didn't have AFM when it arrived but did not question them about it thinking it was an oversight on his part when he told them what he wanted. He was told by the dealer that the window sticker was removed and lost by the original dealership but I found it folded up in the owners manual just recently.
    Who determined that this has no AFM ?

do a dealership vin # check to see if it has this .

According to the vin, it is an LY5 with a J in the 8th vin location.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    Who determined that this has no AFM ?

do a dealership vin # check to see if it has this .
    I have attached pictures of the window sticker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1388963564161.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1388963585691.jpg  

The LY5 engine is the "standard" 5.3 used in the 2 wheel drive GM trucks. However, the VIN code for this engine is a Y.

The LC9 is the "standard" 4x4 engine in the GM trucks. The VIN code for this engine is a 3 (I think).

Both of these engines should have AFM

The "J" VIN Code, to the best of my knowledge, is a diesel engine.

What makes you think you do not have AFM?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yeah I guess my question would be the same as @RayVoy what indicates that it doesn't have it? The only way I guess you can tell is in the DIC where it gives you the MPG your getting and it says V8 it would switch to V4. Other than that Im not sure how anyone would be able to tell if it has it or not. Well besides maybe being able to "feel" it or "hear it". Does anyone know of any outside of the engine components that indicate or make AFM work?

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

The only way I can tell if mine is switching to to look at the DIC, the screen that @the phantom suggests.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

scrolling through the different options I don't find anything to indicate the switching between 4 and 8. is there anything under the hood that indicates it is installed? My father's previous truck had AFM and I recall the message stating the mode. could it have been disabled at some point?

he had an issue early on where the speedometer would quit working. The dealer replaced quite a few different things before they fixed the issue with a new circuit board of some sort. could it have been disabled at that time?

Legend

the vehicle has AFM so what your saying is the AFM is not working.

looking at the MPG that is what I get with my 2000 silverado.

so I did some additional research and the dic is an option that is not standard on the truck? I guess it may have AFM but there is no way to tell if it is working and nothing on the truck to indicate it is installed. how does this make any sense? if this is how GM is competing, why not put something somewhere on the truck to indicate? additionally, how can anyone tell if it is doing any good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast