GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default blower resistor switch

I have a 97 Suburban.I was told yesterday by a mech. that my blower resistor switch is bad.The air only blows on high,does this sound right?
    Ok if this is the problem,exactly where is it at? I hav done asearch and I came up with a few things but nothing definite.
    can someone tell me where exactly this is at?
    He says that once the compressor is replaced and the blower switch is replaced that my air will be good to go?I hope so.I havent checked the rear air yet,I guess I am just hoping that it works fine,net sure though.
    Anyone?? Thanks for the help in advance

I know that there is someone out there with the answer to this.I have tried to look it up in my Haynes manual,but its not there.I am hoping that someone can help me PLEASE!

Anyone??? Anyone know the answer that can help me.

One of the documents I emailed you on Monday is titled "A/C Heater System.pdf". On page 5 at the bottom, it tells how to check the relays and resistors and where they are located. This is for a 98, but I think it is the same for a 97.

Here is the paragraph:

BLOWER MOTOR OPERATES IN HIGH SPEED ONLY
    1) Turn ignition on. Set blower switch to LO position. Remove high blower relay from socket. High blower relay is located under instrument panel, on top of A/C-heater case. Connect test light between high blower relay socket Dark Blue wire and ground. If test light does not come on, go to next step. If test light comes on, replace high blower relay.

2) Disconnect front blower resistor. Front blower resistor is located under right side of instrument panel on A/C-heater plenum.Connect self-powered test light to Dark Blue wire between front blower resistor and high blower relay. If test light comes on, replace front blower resistor. If test light does not come on, repair open Dark Blue wire between high blower relay and blower resistor connector.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

hey thanks.I read through it a little,but I was hoping for a step-by-step picture document to replace my a/c compressor.I opened the hood and looked,I guess it is a step-by-step.4 bolts and a belt and you are good to go.
    Thanks for this though.Is there any place I can get this test light or are they all pretty good from anywhere?
    Again thanks

Any parts store should have a 12 volt test light.

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that the blower resistor was bad.I replaced it and now it blows air on every setting.Now I am on to the compressor,just replaced a leaking power steering hose.
    A few more little things and I sholud be up and running again.
    Anyone that doesnt know where this resistor is,It is in the ac plenum,It did give a few battle scars before I got it out,but everything is back together.Well sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by 97burban View Post
    Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that the blower resistor was bad.I replaced it and now it blows air on every setting.Now I am on to the compressor,just replaced a leaking power steering hose.
    A few more little things and I sholud be up and running again.
    Anyone that doesnt know where this resistor is,It is in the ac plenum,It did give a few battle scars before I got it out,but everything is back together.Well sort of.
    Hello there, got the same issuesw with my Tahoe. what the heck is the ac plenum???

sorry I sold my suburban a while back,but I will try to help you.The a/c plenum is the part under the dash on the pass. side,looks like a big black box.You will have to reach up in there to get to the blower resisstor.It will look like a square with springs on it.