GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Mechanic

Yes, you will need a programmer such as a diablosport predator
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

If possible find a motor from a wrecked 2005 extra cab small box with 4x4 not z71. Those motors are known as a L33, Based around the LS motors. Its an aluminum block and heads motor, no need to swap the intake (you will loose power). This motor has a few extra ponys, and torque. Good luck!!
    2005 SILVERADO LS
    3" Lift Spindles
    STOPTECH Rotors
    Bilstien Shocks 4600
    AIR LIFT Air Bags
    Bridgestone Deuler REVO 2 285/70R17
    1 1/2" Wheel Spacers
    BullyDog Tuner/Gauge
    Magnaflow 3" Cat back
    K&N Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by badazz2013 View Post
    is there a way to disable the motor from switching from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders so its constantly running on 8 instead of 4?

Yes the diablo series of programers, I have the intune and love it. There is also the "Ranger" they are under dash CAN port plug in. There is one to make you run on 4 cylinder longer and one to turn off AFM.
    I am a American solder, I am a member of the finest fight force on earth, I am the bump in the night. I will defend the United states of American Against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Repent now all those who would do my nation and it's people harm; For when we come it will be too late.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE, Z71 with 5.3 l and max tow/haul package

The Range module from Range Technologies is the cheapest way to disable the V4/V8 function and have a true V8 all the time. You can get them from Auto Anything for around $160. They just plug into the OBD port and work in the background just sending a signal to the ECM to not go into AFM mode. For those that are worried about warranty issues and are not really looking at a performance tune, this is the cheapest way to go and it works great. That is how I disabled mine the day after I bought it new and brought it home. I will be moving up to a Diablo Intune soon, so will do the AFM disable permanently with that.

Oh, at Auto Anything website, they list the Range module higher than I stated. Just do a chat session on their forum and ask for a better price. They should come back with the $160 I stated, and free shipping. A couple of folks just did that recently, so it is true.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I assume that if you build a 5.3L that it won't be a daily driver.

What's your budget? How much HP are you looking for?
    This will not be my daily driver. I would say I have a budget of $4-5,000 looking for a horsepower range of upper 300's to lower 400's. Don't know if this is even possible, may just be wishful thinking
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT Z71

Legend
    Blog Entries

Cam swap and supporting mods cost me almost $3,000 for my 5.7, ls parts are not cheap lol!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown88 View Post
    This will not be my daily driver. I would say I have a budget of $4-5,000 looking for a horsepower range of upper 300's to lower 400's. Don't know if this is even possible, may just be wishful thinking
    The stock 5.3L already has 315HP and the stock 6.2L has 403HP. I don't mean to offend you, but IMO you could better spend $4-$5K in other areas.

A simple ECU tune can net you ~20 more HP which brings the total up.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12