GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Power Steering question

1990 Silverado 3500 - have had a squeak or tweet for over a year that I can not find. Replaced the belt, idler pulley, and the belt tension pulley but didn't solve the problem. -4F here in Ft. Ashby WV this morning, let the truck warm up for ten minutes before heading to work. Steering was so stiff this morning that I had to drive with both hands. After a thirty minute drive the steering was only slightly better. My question is will the low temperatures make the power steering fluid thick enough to account for the hard steering or is it more likely the power steering pump going bad.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

The other night I plowed the city of Detroit residential streets for 16 hours, the temp was -15. When I got to my truck it hardly turned over (battery is less than 6 months old, I run synthetic oil so it does not thicken in cold weather as much as conventional) my door actuators did not want to work and could not unlock the drivers door. When I finally got it, I let it warm up for 15 minutes, my steering was stiff, but not nearly stiff enough that I had to use both hands. When was the last time you changed your ps fluid out? Could be contaminated.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blew a power steering line last year so less than a year since a complete fluid change. Steering was stiff again this morning but fine this afternoon. Warmed up above 35 here today. Going to try a fluid change this weekend.

If your fluid is at the correct level and it is clean and not real old, the steering should not be affected by that low temperature. Maybe it is a little more resistance than normal, but not like what you describe. I would consider flushing the steering fluid and putting in new stuff, see if the problem is fixed. If not, I would consider a new power steering pump or you can rebuild the one you have if you have the time and confidence to do the job.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling