GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Truck starts with low RPM and then the engine cuts off within 2-7 seconds

This one has me stumped.

The truck is a 2000 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab/ Meduim bed RWD with the Vortec 5.3L v8. You put the key in, it starts (or at least it did) but does not anymore, and runs for 2-7 seconds and then the engine cuts off.

Mileage: 250,000
    When the engine does run for a few seconds, the RPM's hover at around 500, and then they go to zero and then the truck is dead again.

I have checked:

• The Mass air flow sensor and cleaned it (CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner) - Did not resolve the issue
    • Changing the o2 sensors (3 of them)
    • The check engine light comes on sometimes (it is not on now) for a lean bank 1; which I replaced all the spark plugs whith delco plugs in July (last year) and put new wires on it.
    • The problem is more noticeable with the the colder it gets
    • Fuel filter was also replaced 6 months ago.

I am not sure what more to check.

Legend

first thing to check is fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. you need 53psi or more.

my guess is you have about 48 psi. call auto zone to see if they have a pressure gauge for you to use.

you will need some cash for a deposit.

Cool, Thank's J Cat, I think we figured it out, looks like the fuel pump is dead.

Jr. Mechanic

Just a question, but is the security lite on steady or flashing?

Quote Originally Posted by zippstripp View Post
    Just a question, but is the security lite on steady or flashing?
    I don't remember, but it did not do anything that I was un-accustomed to; to make it stand out. I will check again in the morning.

Since the truck is not drive-able at the moment, and I don't have a lift, I am going to start un-bolting the bed so my friend and I can take the bed off on Saturday and have direct access to the tank.

No, I am not going to drop the tank in my driveway and work on the think upside down It will be easier to remove the bed.

What will also let me get rid of that cheap plastic bed liner the dealer installed in the bed when I bought the truck.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    Cool, Thank's J Cat, I think we figured it out, looks like the fuel pump is dead.
    if the fuel pump is bad you will require to slice in the new pump connector. do not use airtex pump. ac delco or delphi are the pumps with good results. this is well known here. also solder in the new connector wiring and seal with heat shrink to ensure no corroded wiring .

replace the fuel pump relay and fuel filter. when done re-check the fuel pressure and make sure the fuel regulator is working correctly using the pressure gauge..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    if the fuel pump is bad you will require to slice in the new pump connector. do not use airtex pump. ac delco or delphi are the pumps with good results. this is well known here. also solder in the new connector wiring and seal with heat shrink to ensure no corroded wiring .

replace the fuel pump relay and fuel filter. when done re-check the fuel pressure and make sure the fuel regulator is working correctly using the pressure gauge..
    Thank you J Cat, do you or @Pikey, Do you know where I can get GM 19153711 for a better price than $248?

$199 @ summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acf-19153711

- - - Updated - - -

I think that the AC MU1613 is the same part. Scroll down on the amazon page and look at the OEM part number. This is $153

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-MU1613...productDetails

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

9. Likes 99'HEARTBEAT liked this post

Thank's Pikey, I called car quest, advance auto and auto zone and apparently GM has 3 versions with that same part number and they need to know the code on the top of the old one.

Why does it have to be this painful to get the right part.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    Thank's Pikey, I called car quest, advance auto and auto zone and apparently GM has 3 versions with that same part number and they need to know the code on the top of the old one.

Why does it have to be this painful to get the right part.
    the mu1613 should be the correct part.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-MU1613...owViewpoints=1

TCF means it is for the emissions evap system which most all us vehicles must have... this is the pump for my 2000 silverado . use this site for more info with your specific vehicle use the vin number engine code to be sure its correct...part..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast