GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear axle snapped

A couple nights ago my 1992 Chevy 3/4 ton silverado got stuck in a decent sized ice shelf at the approach of my drive-way, after a couple hours of trying to shimmy it out, I noticed the passenger side rear wheel had stopped spinning. I figured it had something to do with the rear wheel differential and didn't think much of it, so I went back inside to warm up and evaluate my options. I came back outside and tried to shimmy it out one more time by putting it in reverse, then drive, then reverse and just repeating that until I noticed the rear passenger side wheel had fallen off! Split right at the axle seal! I had it towed to a mechanic and he said it would be around $2,000, does that seem about right?

The weird part is that there was no clunking or grinding prior to the axle breaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unnamed.jpg  

If the end broke off the axle, a used axle shaft at a junkyard would be less than $100.

You probably have some damage to the rear brake on that wheel. That shouldn't be any more than $200.

If the axle housing is ok, $2,000 is high, if the housing is damaged and you need a complete rear axle assembly, may not be too bad a price.

But, look at it this way, better to have come off in the drivewat than at 75 mph on the highway.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

3. Likes reggiecab2000 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    But, look at it this way, better to have come off in the drivewat than at 75 mph on the highway.
    Those were my thoughts too! Could have been a lot worse.

Thanks very much RayVoy for that helpful information

Legend

since it broke in the driveway I see no problem using a scrap yard axle and replace the axle bearings/seals.

I had an axle replaced it got bent in a small accident vehicle hit my driver side rear wheel.

I bet the brakes are ok.

a relative had this happen on a pontiac doing 60 mph...

Legend
    Blog Entries

I had some new 31 spline axles made from Moser last year, $187.00 each and they were brand new. They make them per order, so they are custom made to your order. Just an idea.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap