GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic

Default Dealer Wrecks Customer's 2012 ZL1 Camaro

I don't know if any of you heard about this, but yesterday this story came across my facebook feed. I've pasted the article as I believe it's worth the read.

When Debbie and John Hooper took their Camaro ZL1 to a Georgetown car dealer, they were expecting a minor paint job.
    What they got is a nightmare.
    “Instead of a newly painted car, we ended up looking at it in a lot of pieces,” Debbie Hooper said.
    Hooper said she understood her car was ready for pick-up Dec. 13, but she and her husband were busy and planned to get their car after the weekend.
    On Dec. 16, she said, the dealership called to tell them an employee had taken the Camaro out for spin Dec. 15 and crashed it on Zoar Road near Georgetown.
    “He went out for a joyride and crashed the car,” Hooper said.
    Delaware State Police charged Eric Peterson, 42, of Georgetown with careless driving and failure to have insurance identification in possession. First State Chevrolet owner Bob Hansen said Peterson no longer works at the dealership.
    “I've never had anything like this happen before,” he said.
    Now, Hooper said she's worried that the 2012 Camaro ZL1 that she and her husband paid $60,000 for – and had only 10,000 miles on – will be totaled by insurance adjusters, and the couple will not receive the full value of what they paid for the vehicle.
    “It was an extremely fast car and more expensive than most Camaros because of limited production,” Hooper said.
    Hansen said the car was locked inside the car dealership, and Peterson took it out without permission.
    Hooper said she heard the employee told management he needed to get into the shop to get a phone charger, but Hooper said she does not believe there was ever any phone charger.
    “I think when you drop the car to have work done to it, the dealer has a responsibility to take care of it,” she said.
    Hansen said he did not know anything about a phone charger, but his main concern is taking care of the Hoopers.
    “Our No. 1 concern is with our customers, the Hoopers,” he said.
    Delaware State Police Cpl. John Day said police continue to investigate the accident. He did not have further details on events leading up to the accident. Criminal charges have not been filed, he said.
    Following the accident, Hooper said, she was told the employee told police that he had permission to drive the Camaro. She said the officer gave the employee a citation for reckless driving and no proof of insurance.
    “When the guy couldn't produce registration or insurance, the cop didn't question it,” she said.
    Now, the Long Neck couple feel they are out a car, $60,000 and are at the mercy of the insurance adjusters who recently determined the car was totaled.
    She said the adjuster and his boss both looked at the vehicle and said they are not going to repair it.
    “It has been deemed a total loss,” she said. “We're the innocent party, and we're really being hung out to dry.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t600-zZL1-121613c.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	57373

Name:	t600-ZL1 121613b.jpg 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	57374

Name:	t600-ZL1 121613a.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	57375

As of now the owner of First State Chevrolet has tried to please the owner with two different used, low mileage ZL1's, but the owner (like me) only wants a brand new one as he sold his 2011 Camaro 2SS and his 1969 Camaro SS to purchase his baby.
    What do you all think?
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 01-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well if he offered a good Low milage used one take it and maybe some Gas $$$ to go with it.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Master Mechanic

My thinking was if I sell my 2011 Camaro 2SS and my priced 1969 Camaro SS to purchase a brand new 2012 Camaro ZL1, and then have one of your employees take it for a joy ride, without my permission, and then total it; I would want a brand new ZL1 myself. A used one to me just wouldn't make up for it, as it wasn't mine, and it also seems like the cheep way of going about it. I would be trying to make the customer 100% happy for our own mistake.

there is no question that the dealer should be replacing this with a BRAND NEW one
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

5. Likes KyleZ71, Curky liked this post

Poor car... can I have the engine though???
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

7. Likes KyleZ71 liked this post

Playing Devil's Advocate, the car wasn't new. Additionally, if it's a limited edition vehicle, chances are, no more new of that limited edition are available, so I can't replace what doesn't exist anymore. If your heart is set on the ZL1, then either take one with some miles on it already or something else of equal value, or a cash payout. No matter how you slice it, you can't give what doesn't exist.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Playing Devil's Advocate, the car wasn't new. Additionally, if it's a limited edition vehicle, chances are, no more new of that limited edition are available, so I can't replace what doesn't exist anymore. If your heart is set on the ZL1, then either take one with some miles on it already or something else of equal value, or a cash payout. No matter how you slice it, you can't give what doesn't exist.
    Still new ones for sale where I live.

This is unbelievable,.....IMO its the Employee who should be the one on the Hook for this, and the Reason, the car was locked inside the car dealership and this Employee took this car out without Permission, and all that's happened to this Guy is he was Fired, and was giving a Citation, Big Deal......at this Point, this "Employee" is Walking Away Scott Free......and the Owner of this Dealership is in a Tight Spot, as everyone will be watching to see what they do......I don't know as to weather this Couple should receive New Camaro, or one of the Used Ones, as the Dealer has offered, but like the wife said, “We're the innocent party"

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

The only course of action here is for the dealership to give the customer a BRAND NEW one and then the dealership can go after the ex-employee for the loss.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

If someone who works for the dealer crashes a customers car HE or the DEALER should be FORCED to buy them a brand new car.
    Excuse the rust..I USE my truck.

"No matter how beat up or rusty a chevy is, no truck will ever look as good goin down the road wearin that bowtie!"

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by