GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

How did the employee get the car out of there without being questioned? Heads would roll imo.

Here's a little more Information, I came across, on this Wrecked 2012 Camaro ZL1

If you're attached to your car, you probably have the same feeling as most of us do when we leave our keys to someone else outside our circle – think dealer, parking attendant etc. And all for good reason as there's an abundance of stories about company employees taking cars for joyrides, sometimes with disastrous results. You can add John Hooper to the list of owners who came to experience this first hand when he left his 2012 Camaro ZL1 with around 10,000 miles to Georgetown, Delaware, dealer "1st State Chevrolet" (otherwise known as 'First State Chevrolet') in the middle of December 2013. On Monday, December 16, he received a dreaded phone call from the dealer informing him that one of the company's employees had crashed the car after taking it for a joyride on Sunday.

While it's pretty obvious that Hooper should be reinstated, he has run into problems with the dealer and the insurance companies and has yet to replace his ride, three weeks after the accident.

The Chevrolet Dealer posted this on their website:

"Recently 1st State Chevrolet had an employee enter the dealership on Sunday December 15th and take a customer’s Camaro without authorization and subsequently totaled the customer’s car in an accident. Our business is closed on Sundays and was locked as is usual procedure. The employee acted on his own in this unfortunate event. This is an awful situation for both the customer and the dealership to deal with. We have been in contact with the customer and apologized for this situation at length. Both parties’ insurance companies are working to handle this claim in a satisfactory manner. Hopefully this situation will be settled in the very near future.

-Robert L. Hansen
    President 1st State Chevrolet"

The issue at hand is that Hooper and 1st State Chevrolet can't come to an agreement for the replacement. You'd think that the dealer would want to keep the client happy and compensate him for his loss and time as well, while also avoiding any negative publicity by offering a new ride, but they want to give him a used model of equal worth, and that's where they disagree.

As reported by the Cape Gazette that followed the story, the dealership offered Hooper two used Camaro ZL1s, but he declined both on the ground that they were not comparable to what he lost.

The first one was said to have had two previous owners, while Hooper's wife Debbie found out that the car also been in an accident, while the second one was the same year model but had 3,000 miles more.
    While the issue drags on, Debbie Hooper said that the couple will continue to make payments on the car. They also met up with an attorney who told them that they are not "entitled to pain and suffering, lawyer or court costs".
    “It's going to end up costing us more money if we go forward with the attorney,” she said.

For the time being, they're driving a loaner car from 1st State Chevrolet with a cracked windshield since the ZL1 went into the shop for the paint problem.

“We're losing sleep over this, time off from work, and this still isn't resolved,” John Hooper said. “This is so ethically and morally wrong it isn't funny.”

As For The Employee,
    responsible for this whole mess, Delaware State Police charged Eric Peterson, 42, of Georgetown with careless driving and failure to have insurance identification in possession. The man was also fired from the dealership. Police told Debbie Hooper that she could not file theft or any other criminal charges against Peterson as the car was in the dealer's possession when the crash occurred.

Link to Rest of the Article,
    http://www.carscoops.com/2014/01/chevy-dealer-employee-crashes-camaro.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Master Mechanic

I feel so bad for the family. Since the dealership are privately own Chevrolet isn't liable to do anything either. The ownership of the dealership is really low. If I were the owner of a dealership and something like that had occurred I would do anything that I could to apologize. That dealer seems like his only concern is how to save money.

- - - Updated - - -

Late last night I sent the story into the today show. I feel with more coverage (if they even mention it, the dealer will do the rigt thing)
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I found a camaro forum where the family has been posting. I think that is where I saw that the dealer offered them a camaro with 1,000 miles more. I found a list of the cars they offered the guy and he refused them over added options like tinted windows and a sunroof. Which I guess is his right. I recently found that GM and Berger Chevrolet (Grand Rapids, Michigan) have stepped in and are paving [not paying] the way for a new 2013 ZL1 to be sent to First State Chevrolet for the guy to purchase. What I don't get is why the guy would have the car shipped to the dealer that wrecked his car and gave him such a hard time. I don't care that it is the only dealer in the area. I would drive to another town. On the other forum the guy said that he has bought 6 cars from the dealer over the last 3 years. 2 of them at the same time and this is how they treated him! I don't think that he should have gotten a free car. He still owed on the wrecked car. So, I think that he should have been given a replacement for the remaining balance on his wrecked car (whether it was a new car or a used car) and maybe free lifetime maintenance at the dealer. The dealer did try to make the guy happy.

If I took my truck to a dealer for service and they totaled I would expect a replacement truck of the same value and condition. If they found me an 2008 to replace my 2005 but it had less miles and less options I may take it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-14-2014 at 09:48 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes 99'HEARTBEAT liked this post

I would have been happy with a used one and lots of other gratuities i.e. a huge gas card and extended, extended warranty lol
    -K&N Air Filter

I feel the dealer is working really hard to compensate the family, but the family seems to want something that may not be possible to get.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Does anyone know/heard, what's Happening to the Employee who has Created this Mess??....

You should take the deal, I wonder why the dealer didnt file theft charges on the employee, cause it makes them 100% responsible?. hey they are offering a good used car for another good used car, its a fair trade with some boot like others have said. I think they are working with you on this, but its your battle to fight as you see it.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

I saw this posted on a computer & tech form I am on. It is definitely make the internet rounds.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Wow, he went out for a joyride and ended up getting canned.

On Dec. 16, she said, the dealership called to tell them an employee had taken the Camaro out for spin Dec. 15 and crashed it on Zoar Road near Georgetown.
    “He went out for a joyride and crashed the car,” Hooper said.
    Delaware State Police charged Eric Peterson, 42, of Georgetown with careless driving and failure to have insurance identification in possession. First State Chevrolet owner Bob Hansen said Peterson no longer works at the dealership.
    LEGALLY, they are only required to pay to get them into an identical vehicle. However, when you consider that this is a limited production vehicle, that does change the game a little bit and you have to simply go by the estimated appraised value at the time of the loss. My guess is that they have a lot of emotion tied up into this, but when the law comes into play you have to push that emotion to the side and just get down to $$$.

NOW, If it were me running that dealership then I would have instantly given them a new vehicle from the lot or have them order it and pull any favors I had coming to me from GM to get it delivered ASAP. The negative press they're receiving might cost them far more business (like FAR more money) than if they just made the people happy. I have no idea what a 2012 Camaro ZL1 with 10,000 miles on it will go for, but my guess is that it's less than the $60,000 that they paid for it. I think they were just hoping to hold onto it and use it as an investment where the value would once again increase over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to follow up on my own point again, I guess the owners of the Camaro are saying that this was a limited production vehicle, so getting an exact vehicle with the correct options package might be difficult to do. Again, they need to figure out a $ amount or get an identical vehicle.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.