GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1986 gmc shift linkage

Hey everyone I'm new to the site and for the reason I have pretty much given up troubleshooting without other people's opinions.

So here it is. I need some help. I have an 86 gmc k10 with an automatic 350 transmission in it. I can get it to go into every gear selection fine (reverse, neutral, drive) I cannot get it to go into park. It will never lock in. On an incline I will put it into park and you can hear it clicking as the truck rolls and it will not stop rolling.

I need help. This has been very annoying. I appreciate it.

Burleigh

Quote Originally Posted by burleigh09 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm new to the site and for the reason I have pretty much given up troubleshooting without other people's opinions.

So here it is. I need some help. I have an 86 gmc k10 with an automatic 350 transmission in it. I can get it to go into every gear selection fine (reverse, neutral, drive) I cannot get it to go into park. It will never lock in. On an incline I will put it into park and you can hear it clicking as the truck rolls and it will not stop rolling.

I need help. This has been very annoying. I appreciate it.

Burleigh
    Welcome to the Site.....from what you've mentioned, you could checked the Transmission Linkage at the Transmission, to see if anything is loose and/or missing, and the issue may be with Parking Brake Actuator Lock or Pawl Parking Lock??

Also are you putting the Transmission in Park first, Before Setting the E-Parking Brake??....if yes, When Parking always set the E-Parking Brake first, Especially when Parking on a Incline/Hill, then put the Transmission In-Park.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-17-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added Infor. and Re-Phased reply.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN