GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sub'd for updates because you gave me an idea to do it to mine.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I didn't want to scare him, that's all.

I painted my 05 Silverado housings the same way, except mine were blue. We used the OEM PPG 2 stage base coat/clear coat. They were professionally done at a body shop, they looking awesome.

First thing I noticed was a major light output problem, there is a reason why the factory puts reflectors in there.

Second thing I noticed was the paint faded very quickly, I ended up taking them back out. Now I have book ends......
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I didn't want to scare him, that's all.
    Yeah I see the stock ones have it chrome where these new aftermarkets are black. I like that look better and yet even better red. so I figured painting them red instead of the black wouldnt change that outcome on these lights. As far as paint goes did they fade from the sun? Im thinking of possibly tinting the lenses some which would cut down on the ultra violet rays hitting it. Also its parked undercover most of its life also so im hoping the paint would hold up for me.
    We will see... Dont worry you wouldnt scare me. some things I do have to learn on my own but I definitely appreciate your input/experience so I know what to look for.
    Got the Switchbacks and resistors ready to go..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0117141640a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	57330
    Last edited by the phantom; 01-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Legend
    Blog Entries

The sun does some serious damage to the paint as far as fading, I don't think It was the actual light beam itself because I drove mostly at day light.

You'll love the switchbacks, those are awesome!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I don't think It was the actual light beam itself because I drove mostly at day light.
    yeah thats all Im worried about is how hot the lights get with my halo rings being right there close to the bulbs. The rings have a range for temperature but thats the temperature it can operate in(forgot what it was now)and not cause damage to them. Im crossing my fingers there wont be any issues.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

some of the pieces parts of my project.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_14.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	57361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161173408844_1.jpg 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	57354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161179407528_1.jpg 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	57355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360793005932_1.jpg 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	57357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3292_G.jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	57358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221315718871_1.jpg 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	57359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0111141614b.jpg 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	57360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200917220825_2.jpg 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	57356

Getting ready to bake the lenses off my new foglights for the color ring to get installed.
    Also got the Fog light grille covers Painted.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0128141339.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	57470If you look cose you can see a hole in the chrome under the bulb. Perfect place to run the wires for the rings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0126141300.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	57469

Fog lights are done... Just waiting on some strips to go between the Halo's in the headlights.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0131142039.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	57513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0131142038.jpg 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	57514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0131142038a.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	57515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0131142038d.jpg 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	57516Perrty colors

those look pretty sweet! I can't wait to see them on the truck in daylight and darkness.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12