GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 09 Silverado Fog Light and HID Help

Ok,

So I am planning to install fog lightsin my 09 Silverado LT. I don't currently have the fog lightswitch on the dash. I am also planning to install HIDs in the low beam and fog lights, so I'm trying to get all my info together so I can install everything at the same time.

Questions:
    1. Is the truck pre-wired for the fog lightsif I don't have the switch?
    - If so, I'll just have to get a switch.
    - If not, are there wiring kits available? Or does using a relay for the HIDs take the place of that?

2. In terms of the HID's, I am trying to figure out what exactly the relay does?
    - I would like to keep the DRL function without risking the life of my HID bulb/ballast.
    - Do I need a relay for the fogs as well?

Sorry for so many questions in one thread, but I appreciate the help/feedback!

No they are not pre-wired.

I actually did this to my 08. I will try to find the Ebay ad where i got mine. It was fairly priced and came with EVERYTHING (end caps, wire harness, assemblies, and new switch for the dash)

What i would suggest as far as HID goes, when you first start your truck, just tap the headlight switch once to the left and they wont come on. I personally opted NOT to put a time-delay relay on mine because I decided to buy a quality kit for the low and fogs rather than the $40 Ebay crap. I am testing them out without the relay, and have had them on for about 2 months with no issue.

The kits were 120 a piece from xenonpro.com

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Jr. Apprentice

Ok great! I found the kit online for $325, will have to see if they have the rights color. I had found one previously without the wiring for like $230. Thanks for the feedback!