GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Factory radio now sounds like a 70's transistor radio

2008 GMC SLE, got in my truck yesterday morning turned on the radio and nothing, well almost nothing. You can hear it but there is no volumn, no bass, not much of anything. Also noticed some of the chimes aren't working either, This is the factory system.

Any Ideas?
    Pops

Legend

the speakers are cheap. get a speaker you know is good and test hook up. also remove OEM speaker and see if the speaker coil is open . these coils where not made for exterior use so the coils open ..I had the same problem when my truck was just over the warranty period.

Could also be that the antenna has come loose. Check your connections / Grounds.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Jr. Engineer

Yesterday I just put new speakers in my front doors! Now I have all the sucky chimes again! But I also have toons up front!!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    Yesterday I just put new speakers in my front doors! Now I have all the sucky chimes again! But I also have toons up front!!
    when you buy these vehicles the speakers are an additional cost. made to fail products by gm.. they fail just before the warranty ends.

I'm not sure what the problem is or was, but the system started working properly on its on and hasn't failed again. So until the problem resurfaces, I'm not going to touch it.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Pops

How cold is it there?

I am in Canada and my work van, the radio doesnt get any sound when its real cold. Once it warms up, the sound kicks in. I figure the cold is shrinking a circuit so its not making contact. It is a Ford BTW....lol

1997 GMC

Legend

that is how my speakers failed . sometimes they worked then did not. then one day the left then the right. this is a very common failure .

Well my good luck ran out, radio has quit again but its too cold here to worry about it now. Maybe when it warms up some I'll check into swapping out the speakers.

pops