GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Possibly moving to another state........ AGAIN

So I'm not quite making it here in VA. Not enough $$$ without having a degree or experience.

So I'm most likely moving in with my grandparents in Ohio for about a year to save some $$$. And then who knows from there.

What I need to figure out...

1) How I'm going to get my stuff 8 hours away.
    2) How am I going to get my Girlfriends Cavalier there because I think that drive would kill it.
    3) Where am I going to work / move out to in 2016?

life throws you challenges all the time, Its all about having faith and overcoming them.

I am thankful for everyone in my life, and I look forward to hearing some suggestions / Help figuring out how I'm going to get this done.

I've never driven anything bigger than a 2500 silverado with a trailer. So keep that in mind as well.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

As far as #1&#2 go, years ago i went down to Alabama to help move my sister from there to Williamsburg Va. We rented a medium sized Penske truck with the car front wheel trailer to tow her Honda Civic. It took us 12 hrs to make the trip. So that might be an option for you. Not sure how much stuff you need to move but they have sizes for almost every need. No special licenses to operate that sized vehicle. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    As far as #1&#2 go, years ago i went down to Alabama to help move my sister from there to Williamsburg Va. We rented a medium sized Penske truck with the car front wheel trailer to tow her Honda Civic. It took us 12 hrs to make the trip. So that might be an option for you. Not sure how much stuff you need to move but they have sizes for almost every need. No special licenses to operate that sized vehicle. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
    Thank you. I'm probably going to get a PENSKE truck and a full size dolly and have my girlfriend follow me down in my truck so I have something to drive back Sunday to get back to work.

MODS:

55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Medium sized moving trucks are very friendly to drivers without experience, a truck and dolly are probably your best option.
    Make sure you reserve the truck and dolly in advance and dont let them upsell you on a full trailer, at pick-up time if they dont have a dolly make them give you a trailer at the rental price of a dolly.
    This type bait and switch is popular with truck rental outlets, happened every time I rented a truck/dolly.
    Look at one way flights vs driving back, it might be cheaper and faster if you book ahead of time.
    As for where to go in 2016, what are your skills, where are the job openings, what would be the best place financially to be located.

Skills, Been doing phone technical support for about 2 years now. I cant do sales, or collections. so kinda narrow scope there.

MODS:

Upcoming mods:

Jason

Call center tech support, how do you feel about relocating to India? I hear theres alot of job openings there.

Lol. I think a lot of us have had curveballs thrown at us where we have to cut way back and learn new skills. What are you good at? What do you want to do?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Lol. I think a lot of us have had curveballs thrown at us where we have to cut way back and learn new skills. What are you good at? What do you want to do?
    Good at working with my hands, Although I have a back issue. I want to become a police officer, however most departments require a degree.

MODS:

Upcoming mods:

Jason