GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default COTY: Well done, Chevrolet!!

For 2014, the Silverado and the Corvette Stingray won the North American Truck of the Year and Car of the Year respectively. Very nice!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/chevr...cid=autos_5159

Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I saw one of the stingrays on the road a couple days ago. The thing is sweet looking.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    That is just Motor Trend; one publication. The North American Car/Truck of the Year is selected by a jury of automotive people so it's much more prestigious than just one editor's opinion.

I used to ready MT but came to the realization that their COTY simply goes to which ever vehicle in the test is the newest.

Hard to believe a Truck with 370k recalls and has a software glitch starting them on fire is a truck of the year.. Just saying.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Hard to believe a Truck with 370k recalls and has a software glitch starting them on fire is a truck of the year.. Just saying.
    Just remember every Eco boost Ford has build has had issues with spontaneous ignition in the engine bay and they didn't find the issue until it began to happen to vehicles on the open road. At least GM found the issue quick and has a fix before any lives were lost or property damaged.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Just remember every Eco boost Ford has build has had issues with spontaneous ignition in the engine bay and they didn't find the issue until it began to happen to vehicles on the open road. At least GM found the issue quick and has a fix before any lives were lost or property damaged.
    I agree but almost all trucks on the road should be considered not just the Ford, Chevy, ect. What about Honda or Toyota. Or are they not considered North American even though Honda (Ridgeline)is more North American assembled and/or made than my Silverado is?

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I agree but almost all trucks on the road should be considered not just the Ford, Chevy, ect. What about Honda or Toyota. Or are they not considered North American even though Honda (Ridgeline)is more North American assembled and/or made than my Silverado is?
    The award is based on the judgement of 50 journalists and their opinions on what is the best or most improved. The Ridgeline hasn't changed much in years so it would be out but the Tundra, Silverado, and a few SUVs that were redesigned are in the running. Tundra want even a finalist. Many journalists love both the new Vette and the new Silverado because the the new engines they have under the hood as well as the huge amount of interior upgrades and just the huge improvement GM made. I don't think the recall happened early enough to effect the judgement of anyone.

And going on how "American" a vehicle it now a days is very hard to tell. If its how North American it is then the Silverado, F-150 and Ram are close to tied because they are made mostly in the US and Canada. The Ridgeline may be assembled here but a lot of the parts start their life in Japan.
    I think my 96' is about 90-95% made in North America, but only 80% in the USA.

There are all kinds of write ups on how "American" or if you will "North American" vehicles are. I guess alot of it depends on personal opinion on what value is put on assembled here as apposed to where each and every part is made that makes up the vehicle and also where the "technology or engineering" for each make and/or model was created. I myself would put the most "American" Make and/or model is the manufacturer that puts the most of us "Americans" to work. But thats a whole other subject compared to what we are talking about here I guess.
    My Silverado was assembled and painted in Mexico and so far Ive seen a lot of parts that say canada and believe it or not China on it. I have yet to see a Made in the USA stamp on it but I havent looked for it really either.

The "North American" part of the title has nothing to do with where the vehicle is made. It's more like "this panel of North American auto journalists chooses the XXX as the car of the year."

But, then again, there are plenty of Silverados made in Canada and Mexico...but that is still North America.