GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Dash Crack Recall / Class action lawsuit

Many (if not most) 2007+ Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Avalanche, Silverado and Sierra Truck dashes have cracked at the corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster. We have organized a group of owners on the facebook page found here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/251892298253/. This page is where we will organize and communicate progress related to a voluntary recall, media events in your area and any class-action lawsuit information.

You can read my story about my 2007 Tahoe here: http://www.trushift.com/gm-going-ban...customer-time/

Please join our group and help us get GM to take action and issue a voluntary recall. GM denies most repairs (or offers a discounted repair ranging from $100 to no discount) if the vehicle is even a few days out of warranty. GM knows this is a rampant issue and fails to take responsibility. Don't let GM get away with this blatant lack of integrity and poor product quality that will impact the value of your vehicle and potentially the safety of your loved ones.

This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision.

Please join with us. I have also just started a twitter handle 'trushift'. Please follow me and help spread the word by posting to your facebook and twitter. Use the hashtag #GMdashcrack when tweeting. When I posted pictures and my story on my facebook I had about a dozen close friends respond telling me they have the same issue and didn't realize it was a factory defect! Thanks for your help. I look
    forward to meeting you on our FB group page.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 01-16-2014 at 02:09 PM.

2. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Thanks for joining up to the site. Looks like you've got a cause on your hands that you're pretty on-fire about. Keep us up to date and feel free to add content and photos to this site as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just in reading your post a bit more. How widespread do you think this problem is? Just a rough calculation tells me that we're looking at maybe 1-million of all of these vehicles produced per yer x 4 or 5 years? How many people are reporting problems?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

How widespread is very hard to calculate. I believe the vast majority have cracked or will crack. The service manager at Autonation told me this is a 'very common' problem. I originally thought their service tech may have cracked my dash when it was in for service for an oil leak. I walked in to the service manager's office and expressed my concern. Without ever looking at my vehicle, he pulled out a piece of blank paper, drew a quick sketch of a dash and penciled in the 2 locations that most of them crack - the EXACT locations of my two cracks. He said 'yeah, we see this all the time. It wasn't anything our tech did, it is a design flaw.'

You are welcome to join our FB group and read and even share one of our members posts on your own FB page and see how many of your friends have this issue. I think you'd be surprised.

edit: Part of the problem is that owners don't realize this is a common problem. As in my case, the first crack near the airbag showed up within the first couple years of purchasing the tahoe. I assumed my wife or kids put their feet up on the dash and caused it. Never occurred to me that it would be a design flaw and that GM would warranty it (which they do while vehicle is under warranty, but will only offer 'assistance' in some cases when the vehicle is out of warranty).