GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Owner - Key FOB start and NAV questions

New 2013 Captiva LTZ owner.. I have a few questions someone may be able to answer.

I bought the car used (11,000 miles) from a dealer and it came with the basic 2 button with panic remotes. Upon scrolling through the ,menu on the dash, I saw a setting for 'remote start'. If I buy a modern Chevy 3 remote with the remote start button. will it work without buying anything else for the captiva (like some type of module)?

Also Im looking for a factory looking in dash NAV unit to replace the factory radio. I saw a few on ebay from Hong Kong, that look like they were made for the Captiva. Has anyone here had any real-world experience with the quality of these.. or is there some other styles to recommend? Not looking for a pioneer or kenwood, but a factory looking replacement.

It particular - Im looking at this one . but not looking to install the 'extras' that this comes with. Basically just NAV, radio/mp3, and blutooth, maybe tie in the factory rear camera if it can be done easily.

Looking forward to exploring this forum... Looks like it can be a great place to be.

, James from Texas

Welcome To GMTC!!! i am not sure on the remote. does the car have onstar? I know the new GMs can be started thru an app with onstar

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

It has OnStar, but its not active.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesk9 View Post
    New 2013 Captiva LTZ owner.. I have a few questions someone may be able to answer.

I bought the car used (11,000 miles) from a dealer and it came with the basic 2 button with panic remotes. Upon scrolling through the ,menu on the dash, I saw a setting for 'remote start'. If I buy a modern Chevy 3 remote with the remote start button. will it work without buying anything else for the captiva (like some type of module)?

Also Im looking for a factory looking in dash NAV unit to replace the factory radio. I saw a few on ebay from Hong Kong, that look like they were made for the Captiva. Has anyone here had any real-world experience with the quality of these.. or is there some other styles to recommend? Not looking for a pioneer or kenwood, but a factory looking replacement.

It particular - Im looking at this one . but not looking to install the 'extras' that this comes with. Basically just NAV, radio/mp3, and blutooth, maybe tie in the factory rear camera if it can be done easily.

Looking forward to exploring this forum... Looks like it can be a great place to be.

, James from Texas
    James, regarding the Factory Remote Start, on the Chevy/GM Trucks and SUV's, in order for the remote start to work, these Trucks/SUV's, need to have RPO Code "AP8" on the Service Parts I.D. Tag(White Sticker)inside their Glove Boxes, which is the Factory Remote Start "Prep-Package" and if they do have this "AP8"Code, then their Vehicle is setup up for the Factory Remote Start, but I'm not sure, if the same holds True for your 2013" Captiva??.....I would say check your Glove Box to see if you have this RPO Code AP8....

Here's what the Service Parts I.D. Tag(White Sticker) looks like

EDIT:.....Did some looking around and the RPO Code for the Factory Remote Start for a 2013" Captiva, is RPO Code "BTV" Remote Vehicle Starter System, James this is the Code you would be looking for the Glove Box.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-16-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

5. Likes Pikey liked this post

, James from Texas
    any remote you buy will have to be programmed, I believe it should not be an issue. and an LTZ without remote start seems kinda fishy.

As far as that nav is concerned, your in for one heck of a project, re-routing the air vents behind your dash, you will also need a lot more parts to get that to work.

personally, I would just try to deal with an aftermarket nav like a pioneer or what not. less work, less hastle, less things to go awry.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69car View Post
    any remote you buy will have to be programmed, I believe it should not be an issue. and an LTZ without remote start seems kinda fishy.

As far as that nav is concerned, your in for one heck of a project, re-routing the air vents behind your dash, you will also need a lot more parts to get that to work.

personally, I would just try to deal with an aftermarket nav like a pioneer or what not. less work, less hastle, less things to go awry.
    Jason I agree, regarding..."remote you buy will have to be programmed"...the RPO Code BTV, is the Remote Start Prep-Package, in order for the Factory Remote Start to work, .......Individuals need to buy the Remote Starter Kit, The Kit Includes Two Remote Fobs and an "Unlock Authorization Security Code" that the Dealer Needs when they call G.M.......And This System Must Be Programmed By Your Local G.M./Chevy Dealer.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Jason I agree, regarding..."remote you buy will have to be programmed"...the RPO Code BTV, is the Remote Start Prep-Package, in order for the Factory Remote Start to work, .......Individuals need to buy the Remote Starter Kit, The Kit Includes Two Remote Fobs and an "Unlock Authorization Security Code" that the Dealer Needs when they call G.M.......And This System Must Be Programmed By Your Local G.M./Chevy Dealer.....
    you are correct, Still waking up. Time for another coffee.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69car View Post
    you are correct, Still waking up. Time for another coffee.
    Jason....same for me....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Be aware, that system you linked is made for the Captiva that is sold in Europe, not the Captiva Sport that is sold in the US. That is why the vent openings are so different.

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/capt.../interior.html