GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Talking Supercharged or Turbo?

I have recently bought a 91 Silverado 1500 and its a awsome truck After only a few weeks Im looking into buying some performance upgrades. My problem is deciding wheter to put a supercharger in it or a turbo kit Which is better on gas mileage?

both can be great add on. the blower runs off the motor and the turbo of something you are tossing away. i say add the turbo or go all out and add a twin turbo kit. ......and add pictures of the upgrade.....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

i've always heard that superchargers hurt ur gas mileage some so i would have to recommend the turbo... and if that's the road you take lemme know what you get, i maybe interested in adding one to my 90' burb lol

Quote Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
    i've always heard that superchargers hurt ur gas mileage some so i would have to recommend the turbo... and if that's the road you take lemme know what you get, i maybe interested in adding one to my 90' burb lol
    It's simple, they both eat gas:
    More boost = more power = more fuel burned = less MPG.
    Less boost = less power = less fuel burned = more MPG.

An exhaust driven turbo can vary boost by controlling the waste gate/s. You can keep the gate/s open until the TPS gives a serious signal to haulass. Put your foot in it and away you go. A supercharger is always on, I guess you could add a waste gate, but you'll still have the parasitic drain of the compressor on the belt drive. In that respect a turbo would give better MPG

I've always thought, variable boost on a small engine would give better MPG than DOD on a big one. I suspect DOD is way is cheaper to produce, that's why GM went that way. A variable boost twin turbo 283 could be an interesting set up for the economy minded with an occasional lead foot. Does the new supercharged ZR1 'Vette have variable boost -- and, if it does, how do they do it?

Lightbulb

Which way to go needs some thought, Turbos and Prochargers are great for top end but provide very little gruntbelow 3000 where most of the work is done. If you can keep your foot out of the pump the fuel mileage does not suffer much. Me I would be thinking Whipple, it fits under the hood is a ton easier to install and provides great punch.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Default replys

Hey thanks guys. Ive got a buddy who put a turbo in his car and it cut his gas mileage in HALF for 35 to16 also he said it gets really hot I think Ill try a smaller supercharger. His puts out 30 pboost. heres my truck and my dads
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   190.jpg  

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this question. I have been thinking about the same thing for my '04. The fuel thing is not really my issue. I use mine sometimes to tow stuff. I'm wondering if I'll still be able to tow.

To much power?

Wheel spin anyone?

"I'm not mean... your just a sissy"

Jason
    CURRENT
    '04 silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 (47,000K) - baby
    '97 serria 4x4 2500 454 (121,000K) - beast
    '07 saturn vue V6 (17,000K) - wife's
    '93 ck3500 4x4 6.5 desiel (300+ adding every day)
    - best of all. I don't pay for it!!!

PREVIOUS
    '04 colarado Z71 3.5 (should have been yellow. complete lemon!)
    '91 serria 2500 2wd 454 (sold at 320,000) - tank

Yeah i only care cause its costing me a 100 a pop and i dont use 87 91 buddy eventually it be a drag racer for our local track Ill probably put twin superchargers on then.

eather will still allow you to tow fine just watch the skinny pedal....most trucks (simi---or work) have turbos....mike

For towing, I'd go with the supercharger! I've had both! and the super charger has a lot of low end immediate power, or always there, push the pedal away you go. Turbo, you can have a lot more power, but with towing, you have to wait for the turbo to spool for the power. So if your towing something heavy, i.e. and 24ft boat that weighs almost 9K lbs. when pulling out of the water up a steep ramp, you want the supercharger. Take it from experience~~! Turbo is nice but also in traffic, stop and go, supercharger has the power there for you for the taking. Highway miles, turbo is nice, as it has the high end power. Just my $.02.
    '08 Suburban
    Greystone Metallic
    :great:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by