GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1989 Chevy C1500 Brake problem

I have a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne C1500, it has a 4.3L V6, 2WD, Manual Transmission.

I am having a problem with brake drag on driver side front tire. I have replaced the caliper on that tire and i have replaced the brake pads and the caliper wont release.

If i jack up the the truck until the tire is off the ground the tire will not rotate. If i take off the brake caliper that rotor will rotate fine. When I put a C-Clamp on the piston to push it back into the caliper it wont move. If i remove the brake line from the caliper I can get the piston to retract into the caliper. When I reattached the brake line i can get the caliper to bleed just fine. After reattaching the brake line and the caliper but before I bleed the caliper the rotor will rotate, after bleeding the caliper the rotor will not rotate. Before bleeding the caliper i rotated the rotor several times and it does not seem to be warped, it will rotate and never get any closer or further from the brake pads. This behavior leads me to believe there is not a block in the brake line because I have no problems with flow into the caliper. The front passenger side caliper functions normally. I can get the front passenger side piston to retract into the caliper with the brake line still attached. After jacking up the car the front passenger tire will rotate without a problem.

When I replaced the brake pads I replaced both front tires.

My question is what would cause this? Did I get a defective caliper? Is it the master cylinder? But if it is the master cylinder why is it only doing it to one wheel?

Years ago I had a similiar problem on a 91 Firebird, after a frustating week og disassembling, bleeding and generally fighting the system I removed the flexible line at the junction where it connected to the hard line, I found there was a type of restrictor mfgrd in the line, it had somehow gotten damaged and would allow fluid to go to the caliper but not properly flow back and fully release the brake.
    Just something to check.

Did you need to replace the entire brake line or is it a part i can replace, will it function without that part? Since it is only effecting the one caliper i would assume you are talking the flexible line to hard line conversion near the caliper not the one at the master cyclinder.

Yes hard line at the frame to flexible line that goes to the caliper.
    Mine had a small block the was attached to the frame where the hard line ended, the restrictor was in the block and I only replaced that piece.

Hope you've already fixed it, but if not, this might help. I am not familiar with the afore mentioned block, how ever, the flexible hose at the caliper is most likely the problem. believe it or not, this is a very common problem. old hose looks good on the outside but inside it is weak or collapsing. the high pressure supplied by the master will spread the inner hose enough for fluid to pass but when pedal is released caliper has no pressure to return the fluid. hence fluid is trapped in the caliper holding the piston in the extended position.