GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by

I have the 63 series CAI from K&N and I've been pretty happy with it. Don't expect to see considerable performance gains, but I did feel a slight increase in power during "high speed" accelerations. The whole idea behind a CAI is to bring in more, cooler air to increase engine efficiency. It would probably be best if you paired one with a full exhaust system, that way you are bringing the air in and blowing it out in a more efficient manner.

The CAI most noticeably made my exhaust sound a little better…but as far as noticeable performance, it just depends on what you consider to be noticeable.

With that being said, if I were to buy a new truck I'd throw one on…I don't really have a justifiable reason for you, I'm just saying I'd do it again.

I wouldn't bother with a throttle body spacer…all it will do is make a "woosh" sound. To quote JennaBear from BlackBear performance tuning: "The TBS are a waste on the newer engines as the fuel is sprayed after the throttle body. The air is already "spun up" as it goes through the throttle body, so the TBS basically duplicates the effort. The TBS won't hurt your engine however, that being said, some folks wind up having problems with the spacer as it is one more thing to wiggle lose and cause leaks." That pretty much sums it up.

I also bring up BlackBear because for myself I intend do use these guys this summer rather than a "chip", "programmer", or "tuner". BlackBear logs data and makes changes specifically for your truck and driving application, whereas a tuner can only take you as far as the tuner will let you.

As far as the 2014 models go, I definitely would not be willing to put a tuner on one. Because of the new technological advances I would be hesitant to do any engine work besides an intake and exhaust until about a year or so. The bugs have to be worked out and these trucks keep getting smarter and smarter -- a guy that works at my dad's dealership has a 08' Duramax that he installed an H&S tuner on (which is a pretty popular and "respectable" tuner), and it no longer works because the trucks computer system "figured it out" and shuts it down while in the "wild" setting. All of the work was done by our award winning service dept, so when even they suggest that I (being the owners son, not just a customer), stay away from tuners, I believe them.

Bottom line if it was for me, start out small with these new models and eventually work your way up! No Tuner, no TBS.

Hope this helped!

PS if you do decide to go with a CAI, I got mine from autoanything.com -- that is what I would recommend. They are always running 20% off promotions that are applicable to the K&N intake that I got…so it isn't such a "waste of money".
    Last edited by 2011laserblue; 02-17-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    PS if you do decide to go with a CAI, I got mine from autoanything.com -- that is what I would recommend. They are always running 20% off promotions that are applicable to the K&N intake that I got…so it isn't such a "waste of money".
    What performance gain do you get? What mpg gain are you experiencing? Do you have proof of such?
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    What performance gain do you get? What mpg gain are you experiencing? Do you have proof of such?
    Like I said, as far as performance gains go I have felt minimal gains during WOT, otherwise nothing. I do not have any numbers for "proof", it is just what I felt. MPG gain, I'm not sure…my current lift, tire, and gear set up robs me of a lot of MPG's that a CAI alone will not be enough to counter any of that. K&N advertises a 1-2 MPG increase..I don't think I've experienced this.

As I said, the thing I've noticed the most is the sound, a slight increase in power when accelerating at wide open.

Blog Entries

in my opinion, no it is not worth it.

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band

All GM has to say is your tune caused the failure, its really up to you to prove it didnt,
    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I don't want to get into a p*ss*ng contest over this; but if your tune removed the torque management and added an additional, let's say, 50hp, I think you would have a hard time proving your tune was not the reason your transmission failed.
    GM states, that if you make any changes it could void your warranty, I think the responsibility might be upon you to prove your "changes" did not damage the powertrain.

This is just my 2cents; and, imo, the additional hp is not worth the risk?
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Like I said, as far as performance gains go I have felt minimal gains during WOT, otherwise nothing. I do not have any numbers for "proof", it is just what I felt. MPG gain, I'm not sure…my current lift, tire, and gear set up robs me of a lot of MPG's that a CAI alone will not be enough to counter any of that. K&N advertises a 1-2 MPG increase..I don't think I've experienced this.

As I said, the thing I've noticed the most is the sound, a slight increase in power when accelerating at wide open.
    If you have felt a gain @ WOT you have Lost MPG! JMHO, a CAI is a waste of $$$$$$! I am a dyno inspector of the power plants that power the vehicles that have and are Kicking the Talibans ARSE! I'm not going to argue with anyone, or anytime over the air induction enhancement but if you add more to a ECM, you will consume more gas! Nuff said....

If you have felt a gain @ WOT you have Lost MPG! JMHO, a CAI is a waste of $$$$$$!
    If you're running at WOT all the time, you're just pissing gas, no matter what intake setup you have. Fuel consumption is not linear. At 5000 RPM you are not using ten times as much fuel as you are at 500 RPM idle. You're using up closer to 1000 times as much fuel. But only "feeling" a gain at that RPM doesn't tell you anything about what MPG changes you would see under normal driving either.

A CAI isn't entirely a waste of money. It's a supporting mod. You're not going to see any real difference with it alone. Or with just exhaust and CAI either. You'll need at least some head work and maybe a cam at least, to see any real benefit. Or a turbo or supercharger to see more benefit.

If you have felt a gain @ WOT you have Lost MPG! JMHO, a CAI is a waste of $$$$$$! I am a dyno inspector of the power plants that power the vehicles that have and are Kicking the Talibans ARSE! I'm not going to argue with anyone, or anytime over the air induction enhancement but if you add more to a ECM, you will consume more gas! Nuff said....
    First of all I never stated that I noticed an increase in MPG. The question presented was "will I notice anything" and I answered his question. Yes, I've noticed something. It is minimal, and during high speed accelerations, but it is there. Is it worth it? That is up for him to decide. It doesn't matter if you have a CAI or not, if you are running WOT you are losing MPG anyway. You aren't going to add a CAI and gain 2-3 MPG, and I've stated that. Dual exhaust is supposed to increase your MPG, but mine has gone down. Why? Because I have a lead foot and like to hear the exhaust. MPG has a lot more to do with air going into the ECM.

You think they're worthless, great. Mine hasn't given me any reason to believe that I wasted all 255 (discounted price) of my dollars on it. No one is asking you to argue. This site is designed to help people. The guy had a question, people responded, he will assess those responses and make a decision based on what he think is best. Lets not turn this great forum into GMFS with the back and forth nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    If you're running at WOT all the time, you're just pissing gas, no matter what intake setup you have. Fuel consumption is not linear. At 5000 RPM you are not using ten times as much fuel as you are at 500 RPM idle. You're using up closer to 1000 times as much fuel. But only "feeling" a gain at that RPM doesn't tell you anything about what MPG changes you would see under normal driving either.

A CAI isn't entirely a waste of money. It's a supporting mod. You're not going to see any real difference with it alone. Or with just exhaust and CAI either. You'll need at least some head work and maybe a cam at least, to see any real benefit. Or a turbo or supercharger to see more benefit.
    Well said.

Here's a pretty good video of what appears to be only a CAI. Not saying I agree, or disagree, but this is how it worked for this particular person:

This person claims he saw a 5% decrease in 0-60 time, a 4% decrease in 0-70 time, and a 4% decrease in 0-80 time after adding the CAI.

So, if this is true, then @jworm can decide whether or not 5% at best is worth the money or not.
    Last edited by 2011laserblue; 02-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.

9. Likes Goldie liked this post

This person claims he saw a 5% decrease in 0-60 time, a 4% decrease in 0-70 time, and a 4% decrease in 0-80 time after adding the CAI.
    But that is not normal driving, either. He's going WOT all the way to 80 MPH. The AVG MPG readout on the dash is also somewhat unreliably as well. The couple of tenths in 0-60 time picked up seems plausible. The MPG gain on the other hand, doesn't. I've had the Airiad MIT and filter in my truck for about 18 months now, and I've seen no significant MPG change.

I come at this with a slightly different view. I did an Airaid MIT on my 2013. The filter box I had no problem with, but I did replace the stock filter with an Amsoil air filter. Sure, I wanted better flow, but the main reason I did the mod was to get that stock intake tube out of there! That thing looks like it is trying to get the lead role in the next Elephant Man movie. Talk about some strange looking piece of crap that looks like it is growing cancerous tumors. By putting on the Airaid, it really "cleaned up" the engine compartment and just plain looks better. Now, if it helps with performance and efficiency in the future, that is icing on the cake.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

12. Likes zuki82 liked this post