GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by

Cowpie.....is the Amsoil Air Filter, a Drop-In Reusable Filter??....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    I come at this with a slightly different view. I did an Airaid MIT on my 2013. The filter box I had no problem with, but I did replace the stock filter with an Amsoil air filter. Sure, I wanted better flow, but the main reason I did the mod was to get that stock intake tube out of there! That thing looks like it is trying to get the lead role in the next Elephant Man movie. Talk about some strange looking piece of crap that looks like it is growing cancerous tumors. By putting on the Airaid, it really "cleaned up" the engine compartment and just plain looks better. Now, if it helps with performance and efficiency in the future, that is icing on the cake.
    It will look better but will not perform any better as the ECM will adjust, and you will be back to normal..........
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

Not a problem. Performance or efficiency was not my primary goal, so nothing is lost. Heck, if I wanted performance, I would chuck the CAI idea and slap on a blower. I was mostly interested in uncluttering the engine compartment. Now, there may come some advantage when I pull the trigger soon on a Diablo 93 tune, combined with the E85 I use all the time now. But even if it still doesn't do anything, getting that weird, goofy looking intake tube out of there made me feel better. After all, isn't this also one of the reasons we do mods to our vehicles? To feel better about them?

Yes, the Amsoil air filter is the one they sell that is reusable. Wanted a little better filtering, since my pickup is operated primarily on gravel roads and farm ground, without sacrificing air flow, and the ability to clean and reuse adds to the value.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

4. Thanks 99'HEARTBEAT thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Sure, I wanted better flow, but the main reason I did the mod was to get that stock intake tube out of there! That thing looks like it is trying to get the lead role in the next Elephant Man movie. Talk about some strange looking piece of crap that looks like it is growing cancerous tumors.
    Agreed that the aftermarkets look better. The factory design is mostly for noise control. If you think it's crazy looking though, you should look at other intake designs that have existed over the last 30 years. The ones GM sticks on the trucks now are very mild by comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    It will look better but will not perform any better as the ECM will adjust, and you will be back to normal..........
    Not really. It very much depends on how the ECM is adjusting. The ECM does not maintain a constant stoichiometric A/F ratio. It tries to attain that ratio, but it's constantly adjusting things based on close to a hundred variables. Not to mention all the external factors that can affect performance. On a chassis dyno, in a controlled environment, is the only way to know for certain whether it helped, or hurt, performance.

However, as a CAI is a supporting mod, not a power adder, you're not going to see any real benefit yourself, without the necessary power adding mods.

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    But that is not normal driving, either. He's going WOT all the way to 80 MPH. The AVG MPG readout on the dash is also somewhat unreliably as well. The couple of tenths in 0-60 time picked up seems plausible. The MPG gain on the other hand, doesn't. I've had the Airiad MIT and filter in my truck for about 18 months now, and I've seen no significant MPG change.
    Correct, the video indicates "high speed accelerations" as I mentioned. I did not get better gas mileage when I added the CAI.

Not really. It very much depends on how the ECM is adjusting. The ECM does not maintain a constant stoichiometric A/F ratio. It tries to attain that ratio, but it's constantly adjusting things based on close to a hundred variables. Not to mention all the external factors that can affect performance. On a chassis dyno, in a controlled environment, is the only way to know for certain whether it helped, or hurt, performance.

However, as a CAI is a supporting mod, not a power adder, you're not going to see any real benefit yourself, without the necessary power adding mods.[/QUOTE] A un-programmed will take you back to F/A ratio, no matter what you add!

A un-programmed will take you back to F/A ratio, no matter what you add!
    Huh? No. The ECM is already programmed from the factory. And it won't give you the stoichiometric ratio every time. It will try to adjust fuel and timing to get that ratio. And more means more fuel, even if the ratio is the same. The A/F ratio is only a small part of what determines the efficiency, and power output, of an engine.
    Last edited by dobey; 02-22-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    A un-programmed will take you back to F/A ratio, no matter what you add!
    Huh? No. The ECM is already programmed from the factory. And it won't give you the stoichiometric ratio every time. It will try to adjust fuel and timing to get that ratio. And more means more fuel, even if the ratio is the same. The A/F ratio is only a small part of what determines the efficiency, and power output, of an engine.[/QUOTE] Read your third sentence! That is what I am talking about! Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!

Read your third sentence! That is what I am talking about! Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!
    A) Please learn how to use the quote feature of the forum when replying with quotes.

B) No, that is not what you said. You said the efficiency nor power will change, because the A/F ratio won't change. That is simply wrong. The A/F ratio constantly changes, but the variation is indeed quite small. However, even with the A/F ratio remaining completely constant, more air means more fuel, means more power. Where that power is added along the RPM range of the engine, determines how it affects acceleration and MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    All GM has to say is your tune caused the failure, its really up to you to prove it didnt,
    Actually the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says exactly the opposite.. GM(or the manufacturer) has to prove that the tune caused the failure.. They just cannot say it.. But Im sure most dealerships will say it until an educated vehicle owner knows the law. My dealership actually told me this.. GM has the technology to know what caused most failures.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by