GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1

    Default Is a Cold Air Intake (CAI kit) worth it?

    Just wondering what you guys really think. I have a 2014 chevy silver ado crew cab 5.3L V8. Just wondering if a cold air intake is even worth the 300$ on average. My truck is 355HP stock. I would like to get it to 400+ i have heard a good start is the cold air take but i really don't know anything about truck egines. Thanks for the info everybody

  2. #2

    Default

    You would have to start somewhere and that is a good spot. What are your plans? Exhaust, throttle body spacer, programmer? ??
    Tim Walters (Curky)

    Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

  3. #3

    Default

    yes exactly…. first was gna get the intake, then the exhaust….. maybe a programmer but was gna wait on that as i don't know much about them either. I also have no idea about the throttle spacer either. thats one of the reasons i joined the forum, i figured i could learn something.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The intake I'm looking at is an AFE magnum force intake… i was told get the oiled (blue) filter, but i don't know the difference between the oiled and dry filter either. KN doesn't have any intakes for the 2014 yet or i would go with the KN. Any ideas/sugestions Thanks

  4. #4

    Default

    With the throttle body spacer, some say it help and some say It donít. I think it does.
    Programmer, alot of ppl have them on here.
    You should get alot of info on this from alot of members.

  5. #5

    Default

    do you have any ideas/suggestions on CIA????

  6. #6

    Default

    The factory intake is a Cold Air Intake. If you want to improve intake air flow, just go with the Airraid MIT intake tube to replace the factory tube between the filter box and throttle body.

    I wouldn't waste money on a $300 intake kit though. It's a waste of money.

    If you want to get it to 400 HP at the crank without any power adders like N2O or a turbo, all you need is the right cam, made for AFM engines, and a tune. Plenty of other things you can do too, but gaining 50 HP on a stock LS engine isn't that complex.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jworm View Post
    Just wondering what you guys really think. I have a 2014 chevy silver ado crew cab 5.3L V8. Just wondering if a cold air intake is even worth the 300$ on average. My truck is 355HP stock. I would like to get it to 400+ i have heard a good start is the cold air take but i really don't know anything about truck egines. Thanks for the info everybody
    I would mention, that you may want to hold off on buying a CAI or Buying/Installing other Performance Parts,

    I don't know if you've Heard, that General Motors plans to recall 370,000 units of its redesigned 2014" Full-size Pickup Trucks, Citing a Software Problem that could cause Engine Fires.

    GM said the Recall Affects All of the 4.3-liter and 5.3-liter Trucks the company has manufactured since production started in the summer, including 303,000 Trucks in the U.S. and 67,000 in Canada and Mexico.

    Below is the rest of the Article,
    GM Link,
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014011...ado-GMC-Sierra
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-19-2014 at 10:51 AM.

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  8. #8
    Legend


    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    Posts
    5,357

    Default

    I would wait also till you get the recall done But also remember these parts will NOT affect your Warranty Unless GM can prove it had something to do with a problem with your truck.

    As for CAI's with Exhaust and programer you would see about a 20-25 Hp Gain TB Spacers I never heard anything good about them..

    I sent a note to my friend at K&N about a kit for the 2014's should know in the next 24 Hr's..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I would mention, that you may want to hold off on buying a CAI or Buying/Installing other Performance Parts,

    I don't know if you've Heard, that General Motors plans to recall 370,000 units of its redesigned 2014" Full-size Pickup Trucks, Citing a Software Problem that could cause Engine Fires.

    GM said the Recall Affects All of the 4.3-liter and 5.3-liter Trucks the company has manufactured since production started in the summer, including 303,000 Trucks in the U.S. and 67,000 in Canada and Mexico.

    Below is the rest of the Article,
    GM Link,
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014011...ado-GMC-Sierra


    Yes sir, I heard about that. I made the dealership hook it up to its computer and verify that that issue was taken care of before I even took it off the lot.... Thanks for looking out though

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jworm View Post
    Yes sir, I heard about that. I made the dealership hook it up to its computer and verify that that issue was taken care of before I even took it off the lot.... Thanks for looking out though

    Good Deal, glad to see you had this issue taken care of.....

    There is One Item that will shows you Gains in H.P., and that is going with a Custom Tune, from one like Black Bear Performance Tunes, below is their Web Site, if you have sometime, take a Look.....I have their Custom Tune on My Silverado, and
    Other than a Pure HP Gains, Overall Drive-ability has been Increased. My Truck Runs-n-Performs at a Higher Level than it did before this Custom Tune,

    Black Bear's Tuning Services,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

    Black Bears ,Frequently Asked Questions - Click To Expand

    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

    IMO....Going with a Custom Tune, will give you the Best Return on your Investment!!!
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-19-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •