GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Drum brake help

Default Drum brake help

Hey everybody.

Sooo finally got some grinding sound coming from my drum breaks(awesome!) trucks got 136,000 miles and I know they have not been done since about 45.000. I know great job on my part but they lasted so long haha. So my question being since I have to obviously replace shoes and the whole drum most likely. Anyone got a good suggestion on where to buy all this equipment? I know the Chevy ones will be $$$$$. Thanks guys appreciate the help!!

MW
    2005 1500 5.3 2WD
    I love Chevy trucks, I love guns, I love tools.

NAPA, Auto Zone etc......they will have all the parts you need. The drums might be able to be turned to smooth out the grooves.

[B]1997 GMC

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
    Hey everybody.

Sooo finally got some grinding sound coming from my drum breaks(awesome!) trucks got 136,000 miles and I know they have not been done since about 45.000. I know great job on my part but they lasted so long haha. So my question being since I have to obviously replace shoes and the whole drum most likely. Anyone got a good suggestion on where to buy all this equipment? I know the Chevy ones will be $$$$$. Thanks guys appreciate the help!!

MW
    I got the advance auto rotors front / rear with the life time warranty . going on 4 years . also the ceramic pads gold series are a lifetime warranty.

Typically the drums can be turned at least twice, and that will be cheapest. If your truck is your only transportation maybe not practical but you can save your old ones for next time.

In Minnesota we have road salt and so I would replace the hardware and cylinders at this point on general principles. Might not be necessary if the truck has been in socal all its life but if you pull the drum and everything's corroded and you can't tell what color the springs were painted maybe it's time

Lots of those trucks on the road so any parts place should stock brake parts, usually in your choice of reasonable quality or crap quality. Take your pick
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Well I purchased all the parts for mine at NAPA including wheel cylinders. unfortunately most was made in China. It's been over two years and still OK
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    Typically the drums can be turned at least twice, and that will be cheapest. If your truck is your only transportation maybe not practical but you can save your old ones for next time.

In Minnesota we have road salt and so I would replace the hardware and cylinders at this point on general principles. Might not be necessary if the truck has been in socal all its life but if you pull the drum and everything's corroded and you can't tell what color the springs were painted maybe it's time

Lots of those trucks on the road so any parts place should stock brake parts, usually in your choice of reasonable quality or crap quality. Take your pick
    I disagree with your drum cutting idea. the drum must match the radius of the shoe. when the drum is worn or cut then this is not the same radius ,the shoes have a small friction area [only touch at the top]and they will not stop the vehicle very well [front rotors warp] ....