GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New airfilter kit

I visited a friend a few weeks back to see about getting a price on a case of oem air filters for my 2011 Silverado, I must have whined a little to much about not being able to find a Dryflow style replacement filter.
    My friend told me he'd hook me up and send a case of filters to the house and bill me later.
    One week later this showed up on my door step.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	57364
    A new K&N Blackhawk Dryflow air filter replacement system.
    Now all I have to do for payment is do a write up on performance, mpg gains, and install.
    Then get an after install Dyno tune completed in a few weeks.

2. Likes Enkeiavalanche liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Nice friend.. Can't wait for the write up..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I think he's a nice friend, especially since he works for a Toyota dealer.
    I suspect he pulled a few strings, the kit was set-up and boxed for a 6LTR Denali and it came directly from K&N.
    After looking around Im seeing the same kit isnt available from most vendors for the 5.3 yet. And there were a few slight inconsistancies on the install that I had to work out. After I got finished I found a hand written note in the bottom of the box with a phone number to call if I had any install problems.
    So far the only issue I have is they didnt polish the K&N name block, just left it milled smooth. The next nice day I get time I'll polish it out and highlight the letters with black paint so it stands out better.

I am not a supporter of the aftermarket air induction kits but congrats to you! Please show results of the DYNO, before and aft!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Legend

looks very nice . this setup is not practical where I live as when the snow flies this will get plugged up.

I guess I did it "half way". I got the Airaid MIT tube and left the stock box and dropped in an Amsoil Ea Air filter. I think the tube is really the weak link in the intake system. The stock box is CAI already, just the stock filter is not the best. I wanted good flow, but I live on gravel roads and wanted excellent filtration. That is why I got the Amsoil air filter.

But I have to admit, the OP intake he put on really looks good!
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

i did a drop in k&n in my truck along with a airid MIT tube. seems to work well.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sweet, does your friend have anything for a Captiva? JK
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

My original intentions were to retain the stock air box, change the supply tube, and add a dryflow filter, much like cowpie has done, and I may later put the stock air box back in with the K&N supply tube and a drop in dryflow filter.
    But with the price of this set-up I had to at least try it out.
    Claims are for an additional 12hp and 3mpg, I dont feel the hp but at the start of the second week I am seeing a gain in mpg, wont claim final #'s yet, I need a few more tanks of fuel to ensure this last tank isnt a fluke.
    The K&N leaves to many holes in the engine compartment to allow hot air intrusion for my taste, its winter now, Ill see the real truth in the summer heat.