GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Loose wheel help

Front wheel is loose top and bottom but not side to side, I am thinking CV joint but the parts guy is thinking wheel bearing, it never made noise like the passenger side bearing but the passenger side wheel is loose also and I replaced the beaing last year. Is their a way to tell for certain if it is a wheel baring?

Up and down could be control arm bushings or ball joints. Most bad wheel bearings I have seen will move up and down and side to side. I would jack it up and have someone else move it while you look. you should be able to pinpoint the source. A bad cv joint should not effect the the way the wheel moves when wiggling it to check for bad suspension components. If you remove the caliper, brake pads and rotor you can turn the hub by hand and listen for any grinding and feel for any crunching. if you leave the brake pads on, they drag on the rotor and produce a noise that can make it hard to listen to the hub. if you still question if it is the hub after you pull the pads and check the hub then I would pull the cv shaft out and check the hub again. A really bad hub without the pressure from the cv shaft nut squeezing it together should be pretty loose and have lateral movement.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

What model year is your truck and how many miles does it have on it? Are all the suspension parts still OE?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Legend

take the wheel off remove the rotor and using a pry bar look for the wear point...

this can be many things ... my guess a wheel bearing/hub assy worn... CV joints NO...

Chinese hubs do fail in a short amount of time also these if not torqued properly will do this.

Bad wheel bearing: Thanks, with the miles I should have guessed.