GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Adding rear climate control

I would like to add rear climate control to my suburban. Not anything crazy. Just roof or floor vents for my munchkins in the back. The weather here in the frozen north is, well, frozen. So the climate control up front keeps me kinda warm, but I worry about them more than myself. I was thinking about just getting a blower motor that will push mode cfm of air and not take too much modification. Then just going behind the dash and running some air ducts through my center console to the back for them. I have insulated the vehicle as much as I can, but it doesn't help if I can't get the internal temperature to a comfortable point in the back. Also, does anyone know of a cheap way to seal my doors a little better. Have replaced the weather stripping, but still feel a breezd coming in through the seals at 35mph. Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the long post.

Some Suburbans have a complete heat and AC unit for the rear seat area. do you have any roof vents in your truck?

Adding this complete HVAC would be a big job and probably not worth the expense.

Are you using all 3 rows of seats?

Closing off the back, behind the last row being used will reduce the interior area that must be heated (it's done in vans all the time to keep the cab area small and warmer).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sr. Apprentice

Unfortunately I use all three rows. My truck doesnt currently have roof vents. Not too worried about myself being cold, more worried about my children. I wish I had the model with the rear climate control, but I am trying to figure something out to make do. Thanks for the input.

Even using all 3 rows, there may be some gain in closing off the rear behind the 3rd row.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sr. Apprentice

That is true. I have already started making plans for a divider for that portion. I am wondering if running vent lines through the upper console with some vents dumping in the second and third row would be practical. Only issue I would run into is how to get the there? Don't wanna run them up the windshield. And there isnt enough space in the A pillars. Just spit balling. Maybe run over the hump and through the center console and up after that is the best way. Just gotta figure out how to make it asthetically pleasing. Not worries about rearview mirror. Have reverse camera with monitor where factory center ashtray goes.

The most efficient way to heat, is from the floor (heat rises), under the front seat would be the best.

Do you have room to add a small box with a fan and a hose running under the front seat?
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sr. Apprentice

As in adding another heater core and fan into the cooling system? I think it would be possible. The center console in these trucks is cavernous. So putting something like a heater core and and variable fan in the box to distribute heat better could be one of the solutions to the problems. The only other problem I could see coming from that is the third row seating. The heat from the front row barely makes it back. But I will attempt this project and let you all know how it goes. I believe this is what you were alluding to yes?

Wasn't thinking of a second core, but could be done.

If you have a center console, you should (may) already have a hose, or two going to the middle seat area. My Avalanche has console vents that blows air under the two front seats and one that blows air out the bottom rear of the console.

Do you have any vents at the rear of your console?
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sr. Apprentice

No. Unfortunately that only came in the rear climate control models. But two hoses are alot easier to hide than vent ducts. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction accidentally. I will continue to improve upon this idea. I might just run some vents from the floor heat to the center console. But I will see where this goes. Thank you again.

Have fun
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast