GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default question about proper shocks for heavy long haul. thanks

Hi everyone, I recenty aquired a 1994 suburban 2500 with a 454 G80 axles,
    4x4
    So far everything on the truck is solid. The shocks are the only weak link I have found. I don't know
    Much about what type of shocks are good for load handling, as I've never owned a rig like this before.
    I am looking for a shock that will perform well with a 6k load. This truck is my san diego ca to flagstaff az rig.
    I am planning a trip to my cabin next month and am pulling a trailer that weighs in at 6k loaded.
    The auto store recomended kyb monotubes, and my desert rat friend recomended bilstiens.
    I want to install the correct shock the first time. Please let me know what you would use.
    Thanks
    SSG Posey
    1/75th Ranger Regiment Airborne.
    Retired.
    Rangers lead the way!!!

I would use a good set of air shock or coil over shocks. Stay away from Gabriel or Monroe. Spend the extra coin and go for kyb or bilstein
    Chuckie!!!

Bilsteins are awesome. I have a set on my truck and it has never rode better

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Bilstein shocks are considered the best by most for these trucks. My 96' Tahoe has Bilsteins and even with 205,000 miles they ride smooth and hold up under load. This summer I'm replacing my old shocks with new Bilsteins.

BTW if you are looking for load leveling in addition to shocks you should look in to Roadmaster Active Suspension it works with your leafs to prevent sag while loaded and better distribute the weight to the axle. Heres a link to their site. http://www.activesuspension.com/

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Update. I spent the money and installed bilstiens. I love them. Well worth the 79.99 a shock. Thanks for the advice. The only other item I am unhappy with is the factory head lights. I have been looking into doing a hid conversion with the ballasts and adapter harness. Any tried and true brands you reccomend for this? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJeremy View Post
    Update. I spent the money and installed bilstiens. I love them. Well worth the 79.99 a shock. Thanks for the advice. The only other item I am unhappy with is the factory head lights. I have been looking into doing a hid conversion with the ballasts and adapter harness. Any tried and true brands you reccomend for this? Thanks again.
    you get what you pay for. That's a sure fire thing to remember. Glad to hear you like the bilsteins!