GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Can I put a compressed air tank under my Suburban?

In college my friend had a tubular bumper made for his Samurai and the welder put a schrader valve on it. It allowed him to put compressed air in it to refill his tires after he went on the sand dunes.

I know they make portable tanks to carry but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a tank that could be installed under the Suburban. I'd like it to be able to hold enough air for all four tires.

Links or thoughts?

Why not install a compressor and an air tank?
    Quick Air and VIA Air sell inexpensive and fast compressors.
    In the back or along the frame rails offers lots of spots to mount air tanks. My previous Suburban had two 4 gal tanks along the frame rails with a compressor, the present Suburban just has a VIA Air compressor. You need more than just an air tank to fill tires it requires either a large volume of air or high pressure. Most tanks for air storage are only rated between 250 and 500 PSI.

a guy in my offroad club has that on his jeep where he has his rear bumper as is on board air tank. but i would think it could be done maybe where the spare is mounted?
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

My uncle came up with a pretty good idea for air tanks, 18-wheeler tanks. They're usually nice and sleder, but long. Perfect to tuck right inside the frame rails on a Suburban. I don't know how many gals or PSI they're rated for, but I imagine they're 5 gal tanks at at least 125PSI. When I get time to do an onboard air setup, I'm going to find and snage me a couple of 'em and make some brackets to bolt them to the frame rail with.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    My uncle came up with a pretty good idea for air tanks, 18-wheeler tanks. They're usually nice and sleder, but long. Perfect to tuck right inside the frame rails on a Suburban. I don't know how many gals or PSI they're rated for, but I imagine they're 5 gal tanks at at least 125PSI. When I get time to do an onboard air setup, I'm going to find and snage me a couple of 'em and make some brackets to bolt them to the frame rail with.
    Schedule 40 PVC pipe capped at the ends and tapped for fittings makes great air tanks. You can make them as long as they need to be for the space available and ther's many different size pipes you can use. I usually use 12" but have made them with 6" and 4" for a narrow spaces.
    They last about 5-6 years before needing to be replaced, you can custom make them for your application and they cost half the price of available premade tanks. I've been using PVC tanks on my rock crawlers for years. Schedule 40 is rated to 600psi (most compressors are only rated to 120-160 PSI) and cracks when damaged instead of exploding like steel or aluminium.

the land rover had tanks and under most tow truck have them and of the smaller welding tanks will work. watch out if you use the PVC it will explode and send large chunks everywhere --if me i not use the plastic. use the correct tank. there is many different sizes and many different ways to fill them or get the co2 porta tank and run air tools and anything you want air in....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Quote Originally Posted by collinsperformance View Post
    the land rover had tanks and under most tow truck have them and of the smaller welding tanks will work. watch out if you use the PVC it will explode and send large chunks everywhere --if me i not use the plastic. use the correct tank. there is many different sizes and many different ways to fill them or get the co2 porta tank and run air tools and anything you want air in....mike
    PVC will crack and rupture, it wont shatter unless its under -35deg. PVC is also pressure rated higher than most steel or aluminium tanks (Welded tanks only rate to 300PSI, spun aluminium tanks can go as high as 500PSI). Cylinders which your calling "smaller welding tanks", can be rated as high as 10,000PSI (the average cylinder is rated between 2265 and 3500PSI), but require a hydrostatic test every 5 years if used on a vehicle for gas storage in accordance with DOT, if not tested you can be fined for using them even if your only running 120PSI of air (which would be a standard pressure for most on board systems).
    CO2 would be ideal for most applications but in some areas local restrictions make it hard to get the tanks recharged and they too need to be hydrostatically checked every 5 years or they cant be recharged.

Tim, Do you have any photos of your tanks? I assume the ends are taped and threaded. How did you put in the schrader valve?

i understand your words on PVC, but i seen and seen pictures of PVC home made tanks exploding and doing damage. and DOT would not inspect your tank since it was not a factory item. PVC is rated to 600 PSI it states so about every 12" on the tube. so it is your choice use PVC if you like but I will not even a fine is better than a pine box to me.............mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well