GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump

Default Fuel Pump

Hello everyone,
    It has just not been a good week for my poor truck lol..I have know for a few months now that my fuel pump was going bad in my 02 Chevy Silverado but I made the grave mistake of trying to wait to fix it. This morning the pump died on me. Besides dropping the fuel tank, does anyone know how difficult replacing the pump is?
    My next question, I googled 02 Chevy Silverado 5.3 4x4 fuel pump and found some that are very cheap. I am skeptical about buying one of these because I am not sure they are even the right pump for my truck. Does anyone know how reliable partsgeek or 1A Auto are? Thank you for any advice

How cheap is cheap?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend
    Blog Entries

I know you are probably doing this yourself, but the easiest way to do the fuel pump is to take the bed off. I bought a fuel pump from 1A auto 2 years ago for $79.00, my firebird is still going strong! I don't spend an arse load of money on AC Delco stuff, but the cheap stuff works just fine. It just might not last as long as the big buck pumps $$$$
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Legend

I would use an ac delco or the Delphi pumps. do not use air tex fuel pumps as these are well known to be very bad.

with your problem no start I would use a pressure gauge and make sure you have 53 psi or more .

do not operate vehicle with less than 1/4 tank as this will kill the pumps.

removal or should say moving the bed back 1 1/2 feet thenn tilting up to access the pump . when new installed you do not drop bed but test and make sure the new is good. then put back bed.

So you have purchased from 1A Auto and did not have any problems with them?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying not to drop the tank but to lift up on the bed? I have a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires so i'm worried it will be hard to lift it up high.

- - - Updated - - -

$131.00 is the cheap pump I found on 1A Auto.

only buy the AC delco or Delphi. Unless of course you feel like changing it again in a year.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevygirl4x4 View Post
    So you have purchased from 1A Auto and did not have any problems with them?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying not to drop the tank but to lift up on the bed? I have a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires so i'm worried it will be hard to lift it up high.

- - - Updated - - -

$131.00 is the cheap pump I found on 1A Auto.
    Sorry, and with all due respect, this is one Part that you don't want to go with the Cheap One.......in some Cases staying with Factory/OEM Parts, is the Way To Go, and this is one of those Cases, I know its a Few more $$$....but in the long run, your going to Save Money,

I'm guessing that your Fuel Pump was the Original 1 your Truck came with from Factory, which means that, the Fuel Pump Lasted.....14 Yrs and Most likely over 100K Miles before it went out.....also My Fuel Pump Just Went Out......I got 15yrs, and 180K Miles out of it, this speaks Volumes as to what New Fuel Pump I ordered......"A/C Delco"

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by Chevygirl4x4 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    It has just not been a good week for my poor truck lol..I have know for a few months now that my fuel pump was going bad in my 02 Chevy Silverado but I made the grave mistake of trying to wait to fix it. This morning the pump died on me. Besides dropping the fuel tank, does anyone know how difficult replacing the pump is?
    As others have pointed out you can lift the bed or you can drop the tank. I was able to postpone the repair until the fuel gauge read around 1/8 tank and was then able to support the tank with a floor jack and lower it with the help of an assistant and some blocking. Be careful and be sure you know the weight of the fuel in the tank if you go this route.

You need a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the tank. They're cheap and parts places have them.

My next question, I googled 02 Chevy Silverado 5.3 4x4 fuel pump and found some that are very cheap. I am skeptical about buying one of these because I am not sure they are even the right pump for my truck. Does anyone know how reliable partsgeek or 1A Auto are? Thank you for any advice
    I have replaced the pump in my 1997 K2500 twice because I put in cheap Chinese junk parts the first time. Never again. This is one of the few areas where I would use OEM parts. Either visit your Chevy stealership or a trustworthy local parts store. It's going to cost $$$$ but what can you do.

Of course if you're getting ready to sell the truck to someone you don't like then use a Spectra pump or whatever else washes up on shore
    Last edited by Jamm3r; 01-23-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: proffreadign
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

- - - Updated - - -

There is a 3rd option. I cut a hole in the bed, the entire job took me about 3 hours, most of which was consumed trying to get the retaining ring back onto the mounting tabs. I had to use about 37 flat screwdrivers to do it! If you know how to, solder the wires, NEVER use those snap clip things - you're sure to have problems down the road!! I made a panel out of 1/8 inch aluminum diamond plate to cover the hole. I bought an AC Delco pump off Ebay for $135.00, including shipping!! Good luck to you!!
    Last edited by thrasher; 01-27-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Cutting a whole in the bed seems like adding more work than is needed. Besides, how did you cut the whole in the bed? A cutting torch? I hope not. Even with a saw, there had to be sparks. Flames and/or sparks are not something I would want near my fuel tank.

Taking off the bed is the easiest option. Disconnect the fuel hose, disconnect the rear lights, take out six bolts and then two people can lift off the bed from the frame. Takes about ten minutes to take it off and another ten to put it back on. Cutting a hole is quite unnecessary.

I replaced my fuel pump a couple of years ago by taking off the bed. The whole project took less than an hour and used a Delphi replacement. Buy cheap, buy twice.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast