GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Swap 2001 5.3 into 08 Silverado

Found an 01 5.3L with a wiring harness for $300. Same mileage as my current engine which is a 4.3L. What all would it take to do this swap and have the setup work correctly? Would it cost way more than it's worth of would it be a cheap alternative to buying another truck (which I can't do) or buying an 08 5.3 which is considerably more expensive.

Are you changing the engine because you have a crack in the exhaust manifold of the 4.3 (earlier post)?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

No, I've been wanting to do an engine swap for a while. The cracked manifold just brought the idea to my attention again.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PSIRockin07 View Post
    Found an 01 5.3L with a wiring harness for $300. Same mileage as my current engine which is a 4.3L. What all would it take to do this swap and have the setup work correctly? Would it cost way more than it's worth of would it be a cheap alternative to buying another truck (which I can't do) or buying an 08 5.3 which is considerably more expensive.
    if this were a 70's vehicle it would work. with the computer controls on the entire vehicle systems since that time, swapping engines and transmissions is not an easy or cheap way to go for these to work correctly. I am sure it is possible ,but will cost a lot.

Legend
    Blog Entries

If I was doing this swap, I would do it like I did my LS1 swap in my Colorado. I would make it stand alone, which would mean that none of your gauges will work. Your BCM would be untouched, and all of your body controls would function correctly.

01 is ODB2, and 08 is CAN... This will be your biggest obstacle, anything is possible.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    01 is ODB2, and 08 is CAN... This will be your biggest obstacle, anything is possible.
    Just so we don't confuse the issue, The engine diagnostics are still ODB2, CAN (Controller Area Network) is the protocol that is used between the individual computer modules in the newer trucks. It provides a service similar to the LAN (Local Area Network) that we use on our home and office computer networks.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)