GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Need New Key for Lock Nut on '04 Silverado LS EXT 5.3L

I recently came across a blowout on my rear passenger tire and when attempting to remove it I was unable to loosen the lock nut. It has a special key that is used to remove it, but mine appears to be stripped. The shop was eventually able to get it off but the key is completely shot. I would like to find a replacement for this key so I can remove the other three and replace them with regular lug nuts. Any ideas where I can find one of these replacements???

Legend
    Blog Entries

Air chisel works just fine, I took mine off this way no problem.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

If you have the number for the key you could email the manufacturer for a replacement or as stated prior air chisel will make short work of removing them
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Did you look in the glove box? the "key" is a socket that fits the wheel wrench, it is usually stored in the truck, usually in the glove box.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Did you look in the glove box? the "key" is a socket that fits the wheel wrench, it is usually stored in the truck, usually in the glove box.
    Yea I know. I have the "key" it is stripped though.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy.jr1025 View Post
    Yea I know. I have the "key" it is stripped though.
    Sorry, I read that and them forgot what I read (need face palm).

No need to buy any parts or tools you don't already have. Just take your truck to any wheel/tire shop. They should have a special socket that can remove locking lug nuts. Just have a shop take them off. That is such a mundane task, most shops should do it for free.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    No need to buy any parts or tools you don't already have. Just take your truck to any wheel/tire shop. They should have a special socket that can remove locking lug nuts. Just have a shop take them off. That is such a mundane task, most shops should do it for free.
    I've tried that, none around me have them. They tell me they are made specifically to a certain key. Obviously for protective reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy.jr1025 View Post
    I've tried that, none around me have them. They tell me they are made specifically to a certain key. Obviously for protective reasons.
    None of the shops will have the specific key socket that will remove your locking lug but they should have an air wrench socket that will go on the outside of the locking lug nut. This socket will dig into the metal of the lug nut and take it off. Any tire shop should have this socket on-hand. I used to work at tire shop and we used this socket all the time. I swear, about half the people that had locking lug nuts on their cars didn't even know it so when you asked for their key socket, they had no idea where it was. We removed locking lug nuts on a daily basis with the "grabber" socket I am talking about. I don't see how any tire shop could operate without one.

Legend
    Blog Entries

AIR CHISEL ------- 5 minutes your done

Any reputable tire shop should have the universal key, keep trying other shops.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by