GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 02 Sierra tow button and questions about shifing

Just bought a 02 Sierra with 61000 on it and I noticed when hitting the tow button I am not seeing any lights and nothing is shifting different. I am guessing its a bad swtich?

The truck is in great shape and has a great maintaince record but i did notice today when I had it in neutral to me it seems loud shifting into drive or reverse from neutral is that normal?

It is common for the wire to break under the column cover. I had to open the steering column and repair the wire on my 04 2500. It is due to how the wire is secured inside the cover verses the movement from shifting. Its not really a hard fix just time consuming.
    If your truck seems noisey when putting it in gear have your universal joints checked.

Same thing happened on my 03 Chevy (it wouldnt want to come out of tow/haul mode)...i spliced the tiny (orange) wire back together and never had a issue again

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Here's s a Picture of the Orange Wire that BMWsteve and ChevyBoy2009 mentioned and expressed that is causing the Problem with your Tow Haul not working.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks guys. At least it isnt stuck on like some of you guys experienced. that would really suck lol. I just ended up ordering a new shift lever instead of splicing.

hey, 04 sierra my light worked a couple times now no light. how can i tell if it's in tow mode or not?
    thanks
    ​DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by dave13net View Post
    hey, 04 sierra my light worked a couple times now no light. how can i tell if it's in tow mode or not?
    thanks
    If your Tow/Haul Light is not coming when you press the Button, the problem is most likely what has been mentioned above "Broken Wire".......and how you'll be able to tell is the Tow/Haul Mode Adjusts the Transmission Shift Pattern to Reduce Shift Cycling, providing Increased Performance, Vehicle Control, and Transmission Cooling when Towing or Hauling Heavy loads.....with the T/H on your Transmission's Shifts will be Longer and Firmer..
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-24-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added Infor.