GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Did I just blow up my transmission? 1991 C1500

    Ok. I own a 1991 C1500 with the 5.7 engine. Its the automatic transmission, although I am not sure which one it is. Its the stock transmission. The truck has 122,000 miles on it. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed about 2 years ago at 105,000 miles. Other than a slight shutter at 30-40mph when I hit the gas I have never had any ongoing drivetrain issues.

    I had my truck bed fully loaded with my belongings Moving about 1200 miles. About 15 miles away from my final destination, I smell burning oil, and I look behind me to a cloud of white smoke. I pull over and raise the hood. White smoke everywhere. There is engine oil pooled up near the valve cover on the right side of the engine. Although I thought it was a little odd all that smoke came from what looked like leaked valve cover gasket oil, I ended up getting it towed, just in case. When I get to the house, I start it, and the engine turns over and runs great like always. I put it in reverse. Doesn't move. Forward. Doesn't move. I start looking under the truck. oil EVERYWHERE. check the transmission dipstick. looks pretty much empty and smells burnt. I have yet to find where the transmission oil came from to begin with. The engine oil on pooled on top by the valve covers is still a mystery. Any ideas?

    I am pretty sure my transmission is shot, but I would like to hear other opinions or other things to check before I give up and go out and start looking for a transmission.

  2. #2

    Default

    Have you attempted servicing the trans fluid then see if it moves?
    Id probably drop the pan, change fluid and filter, then see if its working still.
    It wont be a permanent fix but it might give you better options.
    Are you sure the oil on top is engine oil? Is it possible it could be trans fluid that overheated and came out the trans dip stick?

  3. #3

    Default

    sounds to me like you blew a line or one rotted out. Your transmission will not work unless it has a certain amount of fluid. by the time you pulled over after seeing the white smoke it was probably low enough to where it wouldnt work anymore. If you didnt notice the transmission slipping at all then you might be able to fix your leak and refill it and it might move. But from what your describing that it smells burnt.. your probably looking at having it rebuilt with new clutch bands I call them replaced. The white smoke is probably transmission flluid hitting your exhaust when it was hot. Not the transmission smoking.




    2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Have you attempted servicing the trans fluid then see if it moves?
    Id probably drop the pan, change fluid and filter, then see if its working still.
    It wont be a permanent fix but it might give you better options.
    Are you sure the oil on top is engine oil? Is it possible it could be trans fluid that overheated and came out the trans dip stick?
    I have not done anything yet. Its just sitting in my driveway right now. I might do that just to see whats going on with it. The oil on the engine sure doesn't look like trans. fluid. And its on the opposite side of where the trans fluid dipstick is located. The only place it could have come from that I can see is the valve cover.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    sounds to me like you blew a line or one rotted out. Your transmission will not work unless it has a certain amount of fluid. by the time you pulled over after seeing the white smoke it was probably low enough to where it wouldnt work anymore. If you didnt notice the transmission slipping at all then you might be able to fix your leak and refill it and it might move. But from what your describing that it smells burnt.. your probably looking at having it rebuilt with new clutch bands I call them replaced. The white smoke is probably transmission flluid hitting your exhaust when it was hot. Not the transmission smoking.
    Well, here it what it looks like underneath. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12137319606_1b28c4ce20_b.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	57429

  5. #5

    Default

    Looks like to me that just the rear seal blew out. Its sitting there on your drive shaft. all the oil spun out onto the catalytic converter and thats the white smoke. Have to pull the driveshaft and put a new seal in there and fill up your tranny put driveshaft back in and try it. Make sure you have the fluid on the dipstick before trying to move it.




    2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Looks like to me that just the rear seal blew out. Its sitting there on your drive shaft. all the oil spun out onto the catalytic converter and thats the white smoke. Have to pull the driveshaft and put a new seal in there and fill up your tranny put driveshaft back in and try it. Make sure you have the fluid on the dipstick before trying to move it.
    Thats what I was thinking. The parts look cheap. Guess its worth the time and the 20 bucks (not even) to replace it and see if it fixes the problem If it moves after adding fluid, I'll probably do a full trans flush and filter change.

  7. #7

    Default

    If you felt it slip at all before you pulled over then there might be some damage. It doesnt take much to burn up the bands.. When you started it back up and it wouldnt move, as long as you didnt keep trying to do it then it may be alright. You might even just tap the old seal in real quick and fill it with fluid to make sure it moves. would kind of suck to remove the driveshaft and replace the seal if the tranny is toast. that seal looks like it might stay in long enough to try it.




    2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    If you felt it slip at all before you pulled over then there might be some damage. It doesnt take much to burn up the bands.. When you started it back up and it wouldnt move, as long as you didnt keep trying to do it then it may be alright. You might even just tap the old seal in real quick and fill it with fluid to make sure it moves. would kind of suck to remove the driveshaft and replace the seal if the tranny is toast. that seal looks like it might stay in long enough to try it.
    Didn't notice any slip before pulling over, but definitely felt it trying to back it into the driveway after having it towed home. You can smell that burnt smell easily. Pretty sure something burnt up, just hoping a seal and new fluid will give me a little while longer with it. It was a daily driver until recently, but now it just gets used a few days a week. Hate to dump a lot of money into it right now, but I am not going out to buy another truck right now either.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dspud View Post
    Didn't notice any slip before pulling over, but definitely felt it trying to back it into the driveway after having it towed home. You can smell that burnt smell easily. Pretty sure something burnt up, just hoping a seal and new fluid will give me a little while longer with it. It was a daily driver until recently, but now it just gets used a few days a week. Hate to dump a lot of money into it right now, but I am not going out to buy another truck right now either.
    UPDATE. replaced the seal. topped off the fluid. It took 6 Qts. I drove it around the block, but there is still some sort of metal grinding noise coming from the transmission that increases and decreases based on the speed of the vehicle. But it does move, thats a start!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •