GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help with a 96' GMC 3500....Won't Start

Driving down the interstate with the cruise set. Herd a back fire from under the hood the truck just died. would not restart. It tried to a couple times and backfired through the throttle body. Just cranks and seems to be no fire. had to have it towed. If it is the cap/rotor what else should I replace as a precaution while that deep into it.
    1996 GMC 3500 4WD dually
    110,000 miles

I'd replace in this order... cap, rotor, ignition control module, then coil. You can replace all for around $100
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

X2 ^^^^^^^^ on that but might also replace the plugs with the cap and rotor. look at the plugs you remove to make sure they look ok. one might give indication of not firing or fouled.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Backfire through the intake, I think you might want to look at the timing.

well I was away from home so had to have it towed. Was thinking at the price if that is the problem I would do cap and rotor all in one just to be safe in the future. the labor is what will kill me. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Before this happened when I started the truck I had to kinda pump the pedal to keep it going till I got a even idol. While waiting on the wrecker it did start back up for a few seconds then the back fire from under the hood then it just spins with no fire. Auto Zone has a Accel tune up kit for for $174. Plugs, Wires, Cap and rotor. I thought the idol issue was a vacuum leak its just been to cold here in Wyoming to be out side to mess with it. I don't have a shop here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I was out on snow and a rock road put it in 4 high while driving the roughness of the road caused it to come out of 4wd any ideas? something to tighten up?

Those are known for bad dist caps. Just a very bad gm design. They cross fire very bad when they get wet and that causes the backfire through the intake. You can carry a can of brake clean with you and if it does that again in the future while its off spray the cap down with the brake clean and wait a few mins. The evaporation of the brake clean will also evaporate any moisture from it and should fire back up. When these trucks come to the shop with a no start thats what we do to get them into the building.

are you getting enough fuel pressure? That pump should be putting out about 55 psi

Ok cap rotor and new gear on dist.
    I just replaced the mass air flow sensor. It was throwing a code for that. Now i am getting a mass air voulume alarm/code. What is that.

Mass air volume code points to a mass air flow. Also been known for aftermarket MAFS to cause issues in gm vehicles. While your looking make sure all the duct work from air filter to throttle body is on and tight any leaks will cause codes as well