GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I find it ridiculous that the first contractor said that there was nothing wrong.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

We called out a very well respected company that my wife actually worked for when she was in college. J&S Air and they are giving us a quote on what it would cost to replace the air handler so we can compare everything and determine if we want to take a buyout and take the cash.

That being said, he said that they are likely going to offer a very low buyout that's maybe 1/3 of what it will actually cost to get it repaired. However, the only reason to do this would be to get the right people out here to do the job right. The first guy is someone that I probably would never want in my house for any reason ever. The second guy was ok, but he's pressured to make money it seems and they will probably cut corners to get it all done.

Yeah, it's looking like it's almost never a good idea to get a "home warranty" because it looks like over time it's just flat out going to be cheaper to save the money yourself and just pay for it (and get the company of your choice) than to have to deal with this nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

We had the other company come out and they gave a quote of $3800, but said that with a cash discount it would knock off 6%, etc. Ends up being maybe $3600 for just the air handler. Might get them to use some cheaper materials, and get it down to like $3500.

UPDATE

So American Home Shield has authorized a cash-out payment of $1200.
    Wow. That's a pretty huge difference to be sure. I'm trying to get that in writing from them because that's just totally absurd.
    Last edited by Steve; 01-30-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I sold and moved out of a house in Maryland in 2012, that was built in December 1994 and we moved in, in February 1995. That was pretty much the last year for R22 refrigerant around there.

We had two systems since it was a 2200 sq foot 3 story townhouse. Upstairs had a heat pump w/elec. emer. heat, and downstairs had a regular air conditioner and gas forced air heat.

The heat pump was the one we had leaking problems with in 2002. It was a bad brazing job right where the return line went into the compressor so the HVAC guy didn't have to do a lot. 1/2 hr labor, 30 dollar part and enough gas to fill it up only cost us 130 bucks.
    The thing simply went dead cold and it was only less than a pound low.

Funny thing about heat pumps, you need All of the refrigerant in there for it to work. As long as the air is warmer than the supercooled refrigerant, it will take heat out of the outside air and put it in the house. Its not so much the temperature but the temperature difference that makes it work. What happens is the gas will chill WAY down suddenly when the pressure is blown off as it enters the condensor, I mean like hundreds of degrees. Then somehow the 20 deg outside air actually heats up the gas fairly fast. The temperature increase differential is somehow transferred to the inside air in the house.

In early 2012, we had to replace the outside compressor in the downstairs air conditioner after 17 years. A friend of the family, an HVAC guy did it for us. The compressor cost us 600 bucks, which was cheap for the area, and they had to look all over the country for the right R22 model compressor, which was out of production. They finally found one in Georgia. It's a good thing the compressor went out in a warm spell in March. It took two weeks to ship the compressor up from Georgia.
    The R22 to refill the downstairs system cost us almost 300 bucks. Our friend's boss' company charged him 98 bucks a pound for the R22. The price of R22 went up 1000% in ten years.

The compressor might have cost us half what I said, can't remember. I am gettin' old, but 600 bucks for something that looks like a chain saw motor seems like a lot.
    Last edited by Dana W; 01-30-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123