GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Timing issue?

I recently replaced the intake gaskets on my wife's 99 Tahoe (5.7/auto). After doing so I had a reputable shop set the timing since I don't have that fancy computer. Now 3 days or so later the "service engine soon" light comes on. The truck feels like it has not low end guys at times. This sounds like timing issue to me, but I would like a second, third, or 100th opinion lol Here are the codes that we pulled: p0420/p0430. I've read that these are generally O2 sensor or cat converter issues, but again I would appreciate confirmation from those of you more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-216059151.jpg   image-3231037309.jpg  
    Chuckie!!!

Dang. Nobody has any ideas?

Sr. Engineer

Intake leaking?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    Intake leaking?
    no coolant in the oil or vice versa, and I haven't spotted any fluid seeping. I've been keeping a pretty close tab on it for about a week

Before the intake replacement was there oil or coolant getting in the the cylinders? Either burning can quickly damage the Cat or the O2 sensors. My Tahoe has that code because of a bad cat which I'm replacing in June.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Just for the heck of it I would take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake while it was running listening for rpm increases.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

7. Likes zuki82 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Before the intake replacement was there oil or coolant getting in the the cylinders? Either burning can quickly damage the Cat or the O2 sensors. My Tahoe has that code because of a bad cat which I'm replacing in June.
    Yes, there was coolant in the oil

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Just for the heck of it I would take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake while it was running listening for rpm increases.
    I'll give it a try