GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2010 silverado rear suspenion sag

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 LT 2wd. The truck specs say it has a hd tow package and suspension but when I hook my boat to it it sits the rear end down significantly. My boat isn't that big, 17' long and weighs about 2300 lbs total so it shouldn't sit the truck down this much. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how do I correct it?

A few guys here have the roadmaster active suspension kits and like them. http://www.activesuspension.com/

I am sure a few guys will come along and discuss things about your trailer and hitch setup. They might recommend a weight distributing hitch. I think that @Crawdaddy is very knowledgeable about this subject.

My boat weighed 3,500 lbs empty, not including trailer weight. The back of my yukon xl sagged a little with it on the back. (no rear leaf springs, it has coils) But, I would not say that it was major. I think that it has sagged lower with the back of the truck full of brick. I did notice though that how I had my boat on the trailer made a major difference. The guy that owned it before me had the trailer setup weird. It took 3 people to lift the tongue when I bought it. After making a few adjustments that moved the boat a few inches back on the trailer I could lift the tongue alone, the first few inches to get it level were pretty hard but a few inches above level became easy, it reduced the sag in the rear of my truck and towed much easier.
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-30-2014 at 12:38 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

I have a 2000 Silverado 4wd and my 4000lb 20 ft wellcraft does not cause a sag in the rear.

this is with 250 lbs of tongue wt. on the ball. it is a 2 axle trailer , that maybe the difference.

you may have to position the boat to reduce the tongue wt.

Because it's a boat, and therefore doesn't have an a-frame tongue, putting a weight distributing hitch on is possible, but impractical. However, 2300 pounds shouldn't cause issue with squat on a 1500 pickup unless there was significant weight in the bed.

Can you provide before and after pics of the rear bedside of the truck when you hook the boat up so we can visualize the amount of squat? One potential route to help with the squat is to put airbags on the rear, but I still can't believe that amount of weight is causing it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Make sure your ball is high enough. An inch too low can add a huge amount of tongue weight.